• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Game Company Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nbajammer

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Currently I am in dispute with a game company over the quality of their support. I purchased 2 game accounts, one of which I no longer have a need for and no longer use. I wrote to their support to ask them to strip 2 of the CD Keys off of it and add them to my other account. They replied asking me what the CD Keys were on both accounts. I replied with this information, and ever since their attitude has been to go buy another copy of the game with the keys in question, which sell for hundreds of dollars on eBay. I acknowledge that I do not own the game itself, however, I do own the license granted by the CD Keys that I paid for.

They have no listed policy regarding this on their website, however other people who have paid the same amount I have for the same products ARE getting CD Key reissues, which is what I asked them to do. Their only excuse is that I registered my keys quite some time ago, but that's not a valid reason. They say that these people who are getting reissues are people who mistakenly open a new account with new keys - however their stated policy is that once a key has been used, it cannot be re-used. Mistaken or otherwise these people created new accounts just like I did. The company continues to refuse to grant me reissues and will no longer talk with me, denying me the game support I paid for with the purchase of their products.

I contacted the state's Attorney General office and they said they will keep the submission on record but that I might want to consider a small claims lawsuit against the game company. The total amount I paid exceeds $400 (off the top of my head), and the actions of the game company continue to be unethical and even the BBB will not step in to get involved, claiming that the company can set its own policies. Companies can do this, however there is NO stated policy that users are entitled to limited-time support.

What kind of information do I need to gather to file a small claims lawsuit if they continue to refuse to provide the support I paid for or the action I requested? Where do I go to file this lawsuit and what are the costs involved?

seniorjudge

If you want to file a small claims suit, you will need to file it in the county and state where the defendant (the company) is.

Whatever state that is in, visit the website for the state bar association and see if they have any pamphlets on small claims.

Generally, in small claims, you must prove actual and direct dollar damages. It looks the maximum you MIGHT win would be $400 (based solely on your post).

nbajammer

What kind of odds would someone like me have in winning a case against them? Surely there are consumer rights laws that ensure that people who pay the same amount for the same thing are entitled to the same support.

nbajammer

No such law.
That doesn't really answer my question - the business practice here is deceptive, that is why I asked what kind of case I've got against them. To say one thing, but then do another and then deny someone the same benefit under the same or similar circumstances without a defined policy is deceptive.

seniorjudge

That doesn't really answer my question - the business practice here is deceptive, that is why I asked what kind of case I've got against them. To say one thing, but then do another and then deny someone the same benefit under the same or similar circumstances without a defined policy is deceptive.
This is not deceptive.

nbajammer

This is not deceptive.
It's not deceptive to do something they say they cannot do? That fits the very definition of deceptive. Now back to my question which still remains unanswered - what are the chances of winning a case should I file this lawsuit?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's not deceptive to do something they say they cannot do? That fits the very definition of deceptive. Now back to my question which still remains unanswered - what are the chances of winning a case should I file this lawsuit?
Did you buy the "keys" FROM THEM or from an AUTHORIZED reseller? If not, then you need to get your support from the person you bought it from.

nbajammer

Did you buy the "keys" FROM THEM or from an AUTHORIZED reseller? If not, then you need to get your support from the person you bought it from.
I bought them at a retail store - however, as you probably know, retail stores do not operate game servers and so they cannot provide support for the games they sell. The game's publisher is the one that does this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I bought them at a retail store - however, as you probably know, retail stores do not operate game servers and so they cannot provide support for the games they sell. The game's publisher is the one that does this.
You bought CD Keys from a retail store? :rolleyes: Do you still have the CD's?
I don't think you bought them from an authorized reseller.

nbajammer

You bought CD Keys from a retail store? :rolleyes: Do you still have the CD's?
I don't think you bought them from an authorized reseller.
No I bought the CDs from a retail store. No well-meaning retail store will sell just the CD Keys! And yes I do still have the CDs, manuals, etc. The only thing I dont have are a couple of the CD Keys themselves which were likely lost when I moved from Georgia to Iowa in October of 2005. So again I ask - what the odds are of me winning a case should I elect to bring one against them?

nbajammer

Pretty much nil. File a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau.
Already tried that, but like past dealings with the BBB they refuse to intervene. All they did was send them a notice and after I sent in a response they decided that they wouldnt become further involved. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that the BBB doesn't stick up for consumer rights like they say. But I wonder why the Attorney General's office would recommend a small claims suit if I had a chance of near nil.

mb94

Their stated policy is that they will not reissue the keys. They are following their policy. You are upset because sometimes for the sake of good customer service (or just to be nice) they will go against their policy. You are upset that they won't make an exception for you. They don't have to. It isn't illegal. If the situation was reversed (they had a policy to reissue the keys but refused in your case) then you would have a case. But you really can't go in an complain that they're following their rules. Unless you believe that you are being singled out because of you race or religion.

Sometimes a cop will pull someone over who is speeding and not write them a ticket even though they were breaking the law. That doesn't mean that you can contest your ticket because of it.

nbajammer

Their stated policy is that they will not reissue the keys. They are following their policy. You are upset because sometimes for the sake of good customer service (or just to be nice) they will go against their policy. You are upset that they won't make an exception for you. They don't have to. It isn't illegal. If the situation was reversed (they had a policy to reissue the keys but refused in your case) then you would have a case. But you really can't go in an complain that they're following their rules. Unless you believe that you are being singled out because of you race or religion.

Sometimes a cop will pull someone over who is speeding and not write them a ticket even though they were breaking the law. That doesn't mean that you can contest your ticket because of it.
You've misread the original post - they have NO stated policy. If they had a policy that stated they will not reissue keys, then no one
would receive reissues because the policy says they will not do it. Because they have no such policy, they have no grounds not to it. They have a support section which clearly defines their policies and procedures in given situations. This is not one of them. I did a thorough search before even asking to begin with. Therefore, because the policy doesn't exist doesn't mean its enforceable. They cant follow rules that do not exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">