• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garage Door Installers Did Not Fix Problem and I Got Robbed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdogdillon

I reside in North Carolina.
Ok, long story. For the past several months, My landlord has been going through his home warranty company to get a garage door fixed that Phantom Opererates. Phantom operation means the door randomly opens. The Home warranty company contracted a garage door installer to fix the problem. First fix didnt work, second fix didnt work. The third time, they said they would come by on Wednesday and fix it for sure with a new Circuit Board. No call on wednesday or anytime after they came to fix it. I was at work during the appointment so they "fixed" it while i was not home. Thinking everything was fixed and the door would not randomly open any more, I did not pad lock the garage door like i would when it was not fixed as i left town for the weekend. When i returned home, $3,700 worth of tv's, computers etc. were stolen. The burgaler got in through the kitchen door in the garage because the garage door Phantom Operated. I called the garage door company and all they said was "Sorry, we brought the wrong part on wednesday and did not fix the door". Would this garage door company be liable due to not contacting me via phone, letter, email saying that the door was not fixed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It wasn't "fixed" for several tries, yet you took it on faith, without any contact with the company at all, that it was "fixed" this time? :rolleyes:
File a claim with your renter's insurance company.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But, you have it now, right?
(You don't have a case against the garage repair people IMO)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">