• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dotinks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas
I rented a mobile home to an unmarried couple. They destroyed it. I took them to small claims court and won a judgement for $900. I had to garnish their wages and because the clerk of court was so unhelpful I asked an attorney friend of mine what amount to put on each of the forms. He told me that since I had them served separately, I was basically suing them separately and they both should pay the $900. Another attorney told me that they were to be combined together to add up to $900. Which is right? I'm confused now.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swrdmbo

In Ohio you can put $900 on both but you cannot collect $900 from each. You must keep track how much you get from each, and when the $900 is collected (and any costs) you must notify the employer that the judgment has been satisfied, and file a satisfaction of judgment at the courthouse.

Depending on how much you get each week you may have to notify the employer a week or two early.If they overpay you must pay them back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">