• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment laws in VA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

domsbabygirl

What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA

I was recently taken to civil court and garnishments are due to be taken out on me; but I am unemployed. What is the legal amount of time in which garnishments can remain active? Is there a statuet of limitations in the state of VA for garnishment of wages?

racer72

The writ of garnishment is valid for 10 years and can be extended for another 10. 20 years is a long time to wait out a judgement.

JETX

I think that Racer got confused on this one.

In Virginia, a domestic (in state) judgment is valid for 20 years, and a foreign judgment is good for 10 years.

In your case, the garnishment order would be voided since you do not have 'wages' (hence, there is no employer to send the garnishment order to).

Once you are employed AND if the judgment creditor locates your employment, he/she can then simply apply for another garnishment. And they can continue doing this for EVERY employer that you have until either the judgment is paid (plus interest) or until the judgment expires.

racer72

That was the intent of my post, the OP could be looking forward to garnishments for the next 20 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">