• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment other than wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RDG0351

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC
I was awarded judgement in a small claims court, and have attempted to issue a Write of Garnishment other than Wages against an old client. This was rejected by the bank since the name was not an exact match. I know the a/c #, since I kept records of this information. Are there steps I can take if I don't know the exact name of the entity, but do know the banking information

dcatz

“not an exact match” is an inadequate explanation of the problem. Was it wrong, incomplete or what?
This post was prompted by the fact that your type of problem was being raised too frequently. It's too long to re-post but may explain things to do to address the problem:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/strengthen-your-small-claims-case-378761.html

You may have the remedy of a Motion to Amend Judgment. The purpose is to correct the designation in the judgment so that it is a match that satisfies the bank. If it’s available to you, getting the court to revise the judgment is normally both simple and routine (but the account could now be closed after the holder is alerted by your failed attempt). It will be simpler and more likely if your error was small and if the defendant responded and defended. Amending will be less likely, if the matter went by default and/or you completely misnamed the defendant. Then, amendment may be denied and you may have a worthless judgment.

The post includes reference to the use of public record databases, which should be sufficient to show you where you stand and will be much less expensive than a PI. There is no point in paying an investigator to explain the problem if you can work it out on your own or if you can’t fix it once you do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">