• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnishment paper ignored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsMIHunter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

We have an Ex tenant that did not pay their small claims judgment so I filed garnishment paperwork with her employer. (she works in a Dr. office) The girl I gave the paperwork to didn't read it she just put it in an envelope with the ex tenants name on it and gave it to her when she returned to work. I called today to check the status. I was told she no longer works there. When I asked about the paperwork, I was told by the girl I handed the paperwork to " I didn't even read them. I put them in an envelope with Stephanie's name on it and gave it to her when she came in to work." She said she thought they were papers for Stephanie (ex tenant). It just happens that Stephanie is also the one that did the payroll.

On the court document for the garnishment, it states "within 14 days of being served, the garnishee is to deliver or mail copies of your verified disclosure (form MC14) to the court, plaintiff/attorney, and defendant. A default may be entered against you for failure to comply with this order."

The 14 days have come and gone and we have heard nothing, nor has the court. Stephanie was given the paperwork and did nothing. I am sure she received atleast one last paycheck after they were served.

My questions:
1. what can I do now?
2. Can I do anything about Stephanie ignoring the court document?

thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
File the garnishment paperwork again.
This time, I'd recommend having someone who is NOT a party to the case turn over the paperwork. And, try to give it to someone "in charge", not just the receptionist.

MrsMIHunter

I was told by the court, it was okay for me to serve the garnishment paperwork. I did not give it to the receptionist.

And, we do not know where she is working now.

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">