• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gave someone a loan - has yet to pay me back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collier

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I lent $1200 to a friend last June. He was suppose to pay me back in a couple of weeks. He gave me a signed check with payment written in the memo. Told me to fill in my name but not the date, he would let me know when to cash it. Well it is February haven't spoke to him in a month and he told me he closed that account. Should I try to cash the check? Do I have a case?

~Collier

HomeGuru

I lent $1200 to a friend last June. He was suppose to pay me back in a couple of weeks. He gave me a signed check with payment written in the memo. Told me to fill in my name but not the date, he would let me know when to cash it. Well it is February haven't spoke to him in a month and he told me he closed that account. Should I try to cash the check? Do I have a case?

~Collier
**A: no, it's too late. You should have done that back in July 2011.

BL

~Collier
Keep the check and file small claims .

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/Ithaca/CITY/webpageGuidetoSmallClaims.html#anchor121690[/U]]A Guide to Small Claims Court

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">