• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Get deposit back from dog breeder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janeinPA

PA --I visited a dog breeder in CT about 5 weeks ago. She had two male dogs available. One she said was larger and would go to another man who wanted a larger dog. The other she said would be mine. While there we took many pictures of this particular dog, said we were bonding with it, etc. We never bothered with the other dog as she told me it wouldn't be mine. "My" dog was not old enough to come home so I asked if we would definitely get this dog. She said, "yes" because the other man wanted a larger dog. I gave her a $2oo deposit for this dog. Of course, I unfortunately have nothing in writing.

About 2 weeks later I got a call from the breeder saying she didn't mean that the dog we paid attention to would be my dog. She said the other man had first pick and if he wanted "my" dog he would have it. I explained that I gave her the deposit for the smaller dog and asked her for the deposit back. She said, "of course I will give your money back." And, of course, she didn't. I sent her a polite letter explaining how disappointed I was that she "switched" dogs on me and asked her to send the deposit as soon as possible. This was about 2 weeks ago. Still no money.

What is my recourse? It seems to me paying a lawyer would cost more than it's worth. If I took her to small claims court I'd have to travel to Connecticut, which involves about $20 in tolls, gas, and aggravation.

Can I just get a lawyer to send an official looking letter to scare her into paying me the money?

Thanks for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

janeinPA said:

Can I just get a lawyer to send an official looking letter to scare her into paying me the money?

=====================================

My response:

Sure, absolutely. It will cost you about $200.00 for that letter, but sure, you can do that!

What's the lessons to be learned here?

1. Stop doing business across State lines.

2. Always get something in writing; e.g., a contract or receipt.

3. Jurisdiction is problematic.

4. Your money is gone - unless, out of the "goodness" of her heart, she voluntarily sends the money back to you. Don't hold your breath.

Pennsylvania doesn't have dogs?

IAAL

HomeGuru

I would like to know what an official looking letter from an attorney actually looks like. Does it have the words in red stating OFFICIAL LETTER at the top?

G

gary1580

I would send her another letter and send it certified with a return receipt so it looks important. This will cost you a lot less. Tell her that if she doesn't pay you back within a certain period, you will sue her. If this doesn't work, I would take the next step. Probably take her to small claims and she may get the hint and pay you before it even goes to court. A huge % of cases are settled before they even go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">