• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting back loaned table - MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fattybunter

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My girlfriend and I broke up a few months ago, and she is still in possession of a table I loaned to her (dumb to wait that long to request it back I know). For a few days I have been trying to set up a time to meet with her to pick up the table but she was unwilling and non responsive.

Today I sent her an email saying that I would like her to pick a time that would work to pick it up by next week, and if she didn't respond I would talk to her land lord to see if there is someway we could work something out (probably a dumb idea I know).
About an hour after I sent the email I got a call from her stating she felt threatened by the email so she forwarded it to the police, her landlord, and her parents, and she is putting my table on the curb and I can come get it if I want and I should not contact her again. I replied NOT to do that, to which she said "Already done."
I get over there as fast as I can (45 minutes), table is not there, try to get a hold of her she texts back that she went to a party and brought the table back up to her apartment.

My question is how should I proceed, I would like to do this without having to take legal action, but it might be necessary considering she has gone a little crazy. I just want this over with. I can assure you there was nothing threatening in the email I sent her, unless it is not okay to say you will contact their landlord if they don't respond. This table is fairly valuable, I inherited it from my great aunt who had it imported from Denmark, so I would like it back.

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the long story!

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

She's gone crazy?:rolleyes: How old are you? Go get your table if it's really yours.

Bring the police and a receipt for the table.

Or you could always spend more money and take her to small claims court.

Fattybunter

Hahaha, I like the advice, stern but fair! I am 23 and have never had to deal with a situation like this before, but you're right I do need to stand up for myself here.

Since I inherited this table, I have no receipt for it, is there any other way to prove ownership?

BL

Hahaha, I like the advice, stern but fair! I am 23 and have never had to deal with a situation like this before, but you're right I do need to stand up for myself here.

Since I inherited this table, I have no receipt for it, is there any other way to prove ownership?
Since you can't prove ownership , and if She's not willing to let you come get it even with a police present , then it becomes a civil matter .

Then all you may recover is a monetary award .

Perhaps you may want to offer storage fees for the time you left it there , and offer to have a police officer there during pickup of the Item , in writing .

Here's the problem - it's he-said/she-said kinda deal, hard to prove, and honestly, after waiting so long, most everyone will see you as just trying to find a way to get back into her life to upset her day ... anyhow, I'd recommend just go get a new table yourself. you'll be out what ... $100 bucks for a decent table - I know the Good Will in Hopkins, and the one in Shakopee both have very nice tables, as they get donations from many of the more wealthy communities in this area.

--Dave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">