• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting deposit back from ex-roomates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalinfo411

What is the name of your state? Texas
I need some advice. I'm about to file a small claim case against my two former roomates for the amount of my deposit. The three of us were friends and we were planning on moving into an apartment that had a 6 month lease. Well it turned out that we made too much money to live in the apartment so we went searching for another place to call home. After looking for about a week they found a place that they both loved. My only problem was that it was a year lease, and I explained to them that I didn't want to sign for a year because I had never lived with roomates and I didn't know how it would work out for me. They told me that if after six months I wanted to leave that would be ok with them as long as I gave them notice. So I went ahead and signed the lease. Two months later my parents offered me thier old trailer. I told my roomates that I was going to move out. I moved out of the home but I still paid my part of the rent until the 6 months was over. I paid my final payment and they told me that one of the roomates boyfriend was going to move in. I then asked them to go to the leasing agent with me and take me off the lease and put him on it. As well as have him put up his deposit so that I could get mine back. They kept putting me off and now the lease is up, but they wanted to renew the lease. So I called up the agent and he told me that we all would have to come in and take me off the lease. Two weeks later I find out that they went up and took me off the lease. I asked for my deposit back and kept getting putting me off. Well it seems that they have decided that I shouldn't get my money back becasue I didn't live there for the full year. I don't understand. I told them that I kept my part of the verbal promise and now they wanted to back out on thiers. I thought that they were my friends, I left them a microwave, gave them some of my other belongings. Today when I went to get some of my other stuff the boyfriend refused to return them to me. I need some help on how to solve this problem. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">