• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting MY car back from ex girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nate2587

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Ex lives in Ohio.

March 2012 Purchased 2009 Saturn Aura titled ONLY in my name. Insured by myself and have paid the car insurance every month although I did include her as one of the drivers of the vehicle. The agreement with her was if she kept up on the car payment she would be able to keep the car until she paid it off. NO written agreement was made only verbal. She has not been very responsible about it she has been at least 5-10 days late on the payment every month. One month I paid the car payment so I would not get hit on my credit.

I do not have a child with her but she does have a child of her own.

It has become too much of a burden on me and the stress of not knowing if she is going to pay the payment every month is too much. We recently had a falling out also and now she hates my guts. I asked her to return my car and she did not do so. I told her I would like to cut ties with her and would like my car back. She told me shes already contacted a lawyer and he is going to handle it so neither of us gets screwed over and she has nothing else to say to me. ( I don't understand how getting a lawyer involved when its my car in my name?)

I still have not been contacted by a lawyer so I asked her if there was anything we could do to work this out civilly. She said she doesn't want to speak with me and her lawyer will be in touch. I asked her again if she wanted to work things out civilly and I got no response. I asked for her lawyers name so I could contact him (calling her bull crap) and I still have not heard from her or her lawyer.

My question is how do I properly get my property back?

I do not have a spare key to the car but I know she keeps a spare key in the glove box and could get a key made from the dealership but I will not start the car until i get it programmed. The dealership said I would have to get it towed to their shop in order to do that.

Also she basically lives out of the car so she has a lot of personal property. How do I go about returning this property without her making up some excuse that there was some expensive item in there that I "stole" and her suing me?

I tried calling the police to get them involved and they said they don't want to get involved in a civil suit. I definitely do not want to confront her in person about any of this. I wouldn't put it past her to do something crazy.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Ex lives in Ohio.

March 2012 Purchased 2009 Saturn Aura titled ONLY in my name. Insured by myself and have paid the car insurance every month although I did include her as one of the drivers of the vehicle. The agreement with her was if she kept up on the car payment she would be able to keep the car until she paid it off. NO written agreement was made only verbal. She has not been very responsible about it she has been at least 5-10 days late on the payment every month. One month I paid the car payment so I would not get hit on my credit.

I do not have a child with her but she does have a child of her own.

It has become too much of a burden on me and the stress of not knowing if she is going to pay the payment every month is too much. We recently had a falling out also and now she hates my guts. I asked her to return my car and she did not do so. I told her I would like to cut ties with her and would like my car back. She told me shes already contacted a lawyer and he is going to handle it so neither of us gets screwed over and she has nothing else to say to me. ( I don't understand how getting a lawyer involved when its my car in my name?)

I still have not been contacted by a lawyer so I asked her if there was anything we could do to work this out civilly. She said she doesn't want to speak with me and her lawyer will be in touch. I asked her again if she wanted to work things out civilly and I got no response. I asked for her lawyers name so I could contact him (calling her bull crap) and I still have not heard from her or her lawyer.

My question is how do I properly get my property back?

I do not have a spare key to the car but I know she keeps a spare key in the glove box and could get a key made from the dealership but I will not start the car until i get it programmed. The dealership said I would have to get it towed to their shop in order to do that.

Also she basically lives out of the car so she has a lot of personal property. How do I go about returning this property without her making up some excuse that there was some expensive item in there that I "stole" and her suing me?

I tried calling the police to get them involved and they said they don't want to get involved in a civil suit. I definitely do not want to confront her in person about any of this. I wouldn't put it past her to do something crazy.
Have the car repossessed (hire your own repo agent or do it yourself). Remove all of her personal property, take a complete inventory of it, and either send it to her or leave it at her place (keep the inventory list for your own protection).

nate2587

So I would personally have to take inventory of everything in the car? Who's to say I don't conveniently leave the "high dollar" item off the list? Only reason I ask is she is a digger and would do anything to get a free dollar off me.

jiggy78

So you are worried she will claim there were 14 ipads in the trunk that you stole? She would need to prove she owned these in the first place. (receipts)

Once the car is safely away from her, take lots of pictures before you touch anything inside the car. Then log and photograph everything in the car that isn't part of the car. (i.e. you don't need to log the spare tire or the owners manual).

mmmagique

Videotape everything. Of course, you can't prove you didn't do something before the video, but it's at least *some* protection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">