• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting ready for small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skadet

What is the name of your state? California

I am suing a former friend. He asked me to write a program for him, and I told him it would cost him $1,200. He agreed.

I completed the program and he did not pay. We used the program at a live event and it worked perfectly. I asked him for payment and he said he could give me $400 now. I said that's fine, let's put the remaining $800 down on paper. He agreed. Another friend of mine witnessed all of this ($400 payment, agreement to pay balance, writeup and signing of the agreement).

Now, he has the program I wrote and still hasn't paid (his due date was the 15th of May). I tried several times to collect - phone calls, email, registered mail, no good. So I'm suing.

My question is, what should I prepare for? This guy's an absolute slimeball, and nothing is off-limits for him. For example, he told my server that he didn't know me.

Any tips, tricks, and sugguestions are appreciated!

thank you,
-Skadet

BL

File suit and take the signed promissory payment note with you , and proof of the amount paid toward the debt .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">