• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting ring back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

housinmass

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ma. I gave my ex fiance an engagement ring 3 days after christmas ( didnt make the mistake of giving it to her on christmas) Am I entitled to it back and if so how do I go about getting it back! Thanking you in advance!

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ma. I gave my ex fiance an engagement ring 3 days after christmas ( didnt make the mistake of giving it to her on christmas) Am I entitled to it back and if so how do I go about getting it back! Thanking you in advance!
What were the circumstances behind the broken engagement?

Under normal circumstances, an engagement ring is a conditional gift in contemplation of marriage. If no marriage took place, then it's assumed that the ring goes back to the person who gave it in the first place. However, if the engagement was broken as a result of your own actions, then you come into the situation with unclean hands, and cannot reasonably expect nor demand to have the ring returned to you.

Source: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/relationships/articles/2008/12/03/lord_of_the_ring/

housinmass

She moved in with me and my kids,shenhas 2 of her own, and we just could not live with her youngest, such a brat, 12 years old and stillpissing on the floor etc etc.

sandyclaus

She moved in with me and my kids,shenhas 2 of her own, and we just could not live with her youngest, such a brat, 12 years old and stillpissing on the floor etc etc.
That doesn't answer my question.

Who broke off the engagement?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the answer in your previous thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-real-estate-law-questions-11/want-girlfriend-out-576282.html

You broke off the engagement, so you don't get to demand the ring back. Sorry.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I asked her to leave.
Please see my edited response above.

What a winner you are. You decide to become engaged to this woman before figuring out how to deal with the mixed family dynamic. You invite her and her children to move in with you, then when it doesn't work out as you thought it would, you break off the engagement and kick them out. AND you want to add insult to injury by demanding she give you back the ring.

Please refer to my siggy and the comment about a lack of planning. I think this one to be particularly appropriate in your situation.

Wow... Just... WOW. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">