• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting son's friend to reimburse bail money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lottylee

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My son and his friends were picked up in Ohio. Minors in possession of alcohol. My husband bailed the guys out. Two wrote checks for the bail posted. The third went back to court, collected what was left of our bail money and is avoiding any contact with us. We know he lives with his parents (he is an adult) and have all their contact info. His mother thanked us over and over for bailing him out and said the check would be in the mail the next day. That was 25 days ago. How do we handle this? Or can we? The Van Wert, Ohio court was very helpful in handing over the family's contact info. We have our receipts of the charges to our VISA.What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

lottylee said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
My son and his friends were picked up in Ohio. Minors in possession of alcohol. My husband bailed the guys out. Two wrote checks for the bail posted. The third went back to court, collected what was left of our bail money and is avoiding any contact with us. We know he lives with his parents (he is an adult) and have all their contact info. His mother thanked us over and over for bailing him out and said the check would be in the mail the next day. That was 25 days ago. How do we handle this? Or can we? The Van Wert, Ohio court was very helpful in handing over the family's contact info. We have our receipts of the charges to our VISA.What is the name of your state?
And while you were on the phone with the court did you ask them how, when you posted the bail, the boy was allowed to collect the monies?

lottylee

This is my first time dealing with the court system in any manner like this. My son was still in the courtroom when the other family went to the clerk. The judge was very stern and had sent the other boys to jail for minor in possession of alcohol (This lucky kid was the only one who got off easy and I later found that this is his third arrest with alcohol). As a mother, I wasn't thinking straight, I guess. I never went to the clerks office. It was closed by the time they had urine tested my son and finally released him on a continuance.

BL

If you paid the boys bail , sue him if He's an Adult , If not sue his Parents .

I doubt a Court would look at this as a Gift .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">