• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting sued by an Aunt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elizabeth11

What is the name of your state?
Illinois.
One of my Aunts is willing to take me to small claims court over $600 that I still owe her. She sold me her ten year old car claiming it was in great condition. I paid her half (she was asking $2500, I paid her $1250 the day I took her car). A week after I had the car I had to put over $1000 worth of work into it. I did not have that kind of money, otherwise I would have paid her in full. We had an agreement that I would pay her the rest by April 1st, 2005. I wrote her a check for $600 in April because that was all I had considering all of the money I had already put into the car. Now she is telling me that she wants to take this to small claims court after I called her saying that the car died and it needs at least $2000 worth of work for it to start running again. I do not think it is worth me paying her $600 more when the car didn't even last me 1 whole year. What should I do? Is there any way around this? Will I indefinitely have to pay her?

Maxthedog

You made an agreement and you must abide by it regardless of the vehicles condition. Buyer Beware. Next time, have a car checked out before you buy it. :)

racer72

Nothing in your post suggests you have a chance of winning, I would suggest paying before the court date to avoid other fees that will be tacked on when she wins.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">