• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Sued with a forged signature they say is mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgriffith

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

I received a summons to appear in court for a company that says I leased a credit card machine from them in Dec. of 2002. They are suing for over $1900 and have attached an agreement with a forged signature on it.

Background:
I was trying to operate a network marketing direct sales business at the time, who promoted a company to use with a different name than the one suing me. I tried and tried to make money with the company, but had little success. Financially it was ruining me. I had used the credit card machine exactly one time. It was in mint condition, and I mailed it back to the company in the original box, saying that I refused to continue to pay the $49.00 per month (48 month term), when I was never using the equipment. The amount I paid was approximately $1600 before I sent it back. To me, this was such a scam anyway, a credit card machine for $2800! I figured they wouldn't be able to sue me. A month or two after I sent it back, another company than the one I signed up with sent me a collection letter. Now, a third company with different name and address is suing me with forged documents, completley different than the original ones I signed.

First, I am going to answer denying I have the contract with this company and that I owe any money. But, do I have the right to countersue for the $1600 they say I paid them, which I did pay to someone, and it might not be with the original company I signed up with?

Thanks!
sgriffith
Wyoming

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">