• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A gift or a loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vintage B

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Three years ago, my best buddy's daughter wants to take piano lessons. I tell my buddy that I've got a piano that's not being used.

Three years later, my buddy's wife hates me and they have nothing to do with me. My buddy offered to give me the piano back and I accepted his offer.

Now he says he can't give it to me. It would appear that his wife did not agree with his offer.

I want the piano. It was something that has been in my family. Do I have any recourse?:confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You cannot win this suit based on a gift. Until the gift is received it is not a gift. Hence you don't really have a case.

BoredAtty

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Three years ago, my best buddy's daughter wants to take piano lessons. I tell my buddy that I've got a piano that's not being used.

Three years later, my buddy's wife hates me and they have nothing to do with me. My buddy offered to give me the piano back and I accepted his offer.

Now he says he can't give it to me. It would appear that his wife did not agree with his offer.

I want the piano. It was something that has been in my family. Do I have any recourse?:confused:
First, did you give the piano to the buddy, or did you loan it to him?

If you loaned it to him, then you can successfully sue for its return (provided you can prove it was a loan, that is).

If you gave it to him, then you have no recourse on the broken promise to to give it back. Promises of gifts are usually unenforceable. The rare exceptions occur when you reasonable rely on the promise to your detriment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">