• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift Return Laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TDragon

What is the name of your state? IL

Back in December of 2004, my wife received a used laptop computer as a x-mas gift from our friends under no conditions. Recently, our friendship has ended and they are demanding the gift back.

To give background on the laptop... It was originally purchased as a gift by the grandmother of our friend. Our friend decided to buy a new laptop in December, and had no further use for the original. She then decided to give it to my wife (under the "OK" of the grandmother) once the new one was purchased.

Is my wife under any legal grounds to be sued, or requested for the laptop to be returned?

Last edited:

JETX

TDragon said:
Is my wife under any legal grounds to be sued
There is no such thing.
However, she can be sued. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything. Whether they would win in court or not is entirely up to the evidence that can be presented.

or requested for the laptop to be returned?
Of course they can request its return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">