• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift versus loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delgado

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? united states..
:confused: my aunt came into some money via a law suit and gave me 35,000. The agreement was that because her credit was bad that I would purchase a house under my name and she would give my the down payment for a home. Since the agreement and process she has spend all her money(500.000). Refinanced her house under her own name, amd I purchased my home with the 35,000 she gave me. She is now claming she loaned me the money and wants to sue me and use checks I gave her in attempts to help her financially with her bills(which my mother,father and i have done for yrs). Can she sue me?.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? united states..
:confused: my aunt came into some money via a law suit and gave me 35,000. The agreement was that because her credit was bad that I would purchase a house under my name and she would give my the down payment for a home. Since the agreement and process she has spend all her money(500.000). Refinanced her house under her own name, amd I purchased my home with the 35,000 she gave me. She is now claming she loaned me the money and wants to sue me and use checks I gave her in attempts to help her financially with her bills(which my mother,father and i have done for yrs). Can she sue me?.
Yes, she can sue you. And, based on your story, I think she has a better than 50/50 shot of winning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">