• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gifts??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nitaliner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I dated a man for a little over a year. He moved in in November 2011 but then moved out for reasons I will describe. When he was living here, I came home from work one day to find a new entertainment center, a new freezer and new expensive washer and dryer. It was a surprise for me and I inquired if he had paid outright for them or was there a note on them. He told me he paid outright and they were mine. Due to some ups and downs in the relationship already, I also asked what if we broke up? Was he going to take them with him? He said no.....they were mine. He left at the end of January, which is is MO. Severe emotional highs and lows, which make him have to leave and hibernate for weeks. I found out afterwards that he had not bought them, they came from a rent-to -own place in town. They were new but I had a decision to make. I knew I wasn't going to pay the rental payment so I could either tell them to come get it all or go to the bank and borrow the $3500 to pay it off. I now have a bank note on what were intended as gifts. He was still telling me since he left, that he was going to pay for it all. Now he's saying he's not. Am I just stuck with the note since I have the stuff????

FlyingRon

If they were OWNED (fully paid off not rent-to-own) by your ex, and they were indeed gifts, they'd be yours. Unfortunately, your ex gave you stuff that wasn't his to give. You don't have much of an arguable case against him. Gifts are like that. You get them without strings and you have no strings against the giver either.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I dated a man for a little over a year. He moved in in November 2011 but then moved out for reasons I will describe. When he was living here, I came home from work one day to find a new entertainment center, a new freezer and new expensive washer and dryer. It was a surprise for me and I inquired if he had paid outright for them or was there a note on them. He told me he paid outright and they were mine. Due to some ups and downs in the relationship already, I also asked what if we broke up? Was he going to take them with him? He said no.....they were mine. He left at the end of January, which is is MO. Severe emotional highs and lows, which make him have to leave and hibernate for weeks. I found out afterwards that he had not bought them, they came from a rent-to -own place in town. They were new but I had a decision to make. I knew I wasn't going to pay the rental payment so I could either tell them to come get it all or go to the bank and borrow the $3500 to pay it off. I now have a bank note on what were intended as gifts. He was still telling me since he left, that he was going to pay for it all. Now he's saying he's not. Am I just stuck with the note since I have the stuff????
Short answer: Yes. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">