• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

given a purebreed dog, now owner wants back! help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mslady

My daughter was given a cute little dog, apparently a bichon friese (s). The current owners said it belonged to their sister who neglected and abandoned him and left him with their aging parents who could not care for him. He was pathetic looking, sorely needed grooming as well as annual shots and medication for allergies, etc., which we spent a lot of money getting him all the above. He was very timid and shy. In the few weeks we've had him, he has become active and very loving. Out of nowhere, the sister shows up and demands her dog back, saying her brother had no right to give him away and we were in possesion of stolen property! Of course we weren't happy about caring for him for 2 months, and then he telling us she wanted him back. We had become very attached to him. We could certainly understand an owner wanting their dog back, but after all the time, care and money it costs for shots, grooming, etc. we thought it rotten she should just show up and "demand" we give him to her. She even called the police, saying we stole her dog! Of course the police talked to us and after telling him the story of how the brother gave him to us, he went and talked to the brother who collaborated the story. She was told her she must file a civil suit to obtain the dog back. After that, he told her she must not call us, attempt to contact us, come to our house or place of employment again. But nonetheless she continued calling and harrassing us! Well now she has filed and is taking us to court. Do I have the right to ask for compensation for the vet bills, grooming, etc? Should I just give the dog up and chalk it up to expierence? I don't want to gain any money, but I certainly don't like being taken advantage of by careing for a dog, then being told to "give" it back. Should I ask for compensation for the expenses we incurred, including 2 months "boarding"? And what about the feelings of the child who has become attached.

JETX

Since you have already been sued, go ahead and make an appearance. Explain the circumstances and the costs you have incurred. The court might order the costs to be recovered since they would have had to be paid by the sister anyway. You will not recover for 'room and board'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">