• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Go after someones Tax Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi,

I succesfully sued a contractor as: John Doe, DBA XXXXX, LLC (he was not licensed) a few years ago. As you can imagine I have received no money from him.

I am thinking of ways to get some of my money and I read somewere on the net that in some states someone can go after someone elses tax refund (I think they said State only) if they have a judgement against them.

I cannot find anything specific when it comes to Colorado...does anyone know?

Thanks!

Mitch

seniorjudge

mitchelt said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi,

I succesfully sued a contractor as: John Doe, DBA XXXXX, LLC (he was not licensed) a few years ago. As you can imagine I have received no money from him.

I am thinking of ways to get some of my money and I read somewere on the net that in some states someone can go after someone elses tax refund (I think they said State only) if they have a judgement against them.

I cannot find anything specific when it comes to Colorado...does anyone know?

Thanks!

Mitch

You have started THIRTEEN other threads on this subject.

Stop your serial posting!

mitchelt

seniorjudge,

Can you PLEASE show me were I have asked 13 times about going after someones Tax Refund before?

Thanks,

Mitch

Dandy Don

If this contractor is hiding out and not working, it may be difficult for him to be producing any type of income for you to collect from (and he may not even be responsible enough to file state and/or federal income tax returns) but assuming that he has filed, an attorney experienced in debt collections/garnishment can tell you how to do this. A creditor may have to fit in a certain type of category before the tax refund can be gotten (usually it is a state government or federal government agency that can get it) but there may be exceptions that allow a private individual or company to also claim it. Or post your question to www.lawguru.com.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

mitchelt

Thanks Don for the useful info.

I appreciate the fact that you were willing to help me, unlike SeniorJudge who wastes peoples time with his posts.

It's sad that someone like SeniorJudge who has a wealth of information spends so much time verifying if the person posting has ever posted the question before (and some of they time he does not even get that right). I guess some people have way too much time on their hands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">