• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going after an Attorney in Fact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skromfols

What is the name of your state? California
I had an attorney in fact sign a lease agreement for his elderly mother. After living in the house for a year we converted the lease to a month to month contract, however, he did not sign that conversion document, his sister did. The conversion basically said that it was converting the lease to a month to month rental contract, and all other provisions of the lease would remain the same. Yesterday we had him in small claims court. First, he stated that he wanted a judge to try the case, not the attorney who normally tries small claims action. So we were moved into a proper court room with a judge. Then he told the judge that we couldn't sue him because he signed as an attorny in fact. The judge agreed. My question is, do I now go after this guy as the agent for his mother, or do I have to go after the elderly mother?

seniorjudge

skromfols said:
What is the name of your state? California
I had an attorney in fact sign a lease agreement for his elderly mother. After living in the house for a year we converted the lease to a month to month contract, however, he did not sign that conversion document, his sister did. The conversion basically said that it was converting the lease to a month to month rental contract, and all other provisions of the lease would remain the same. Yesterday we had him in small claims court. First, he stated that he wanted a judge to try the case, not the attorney who normally tries small claims action. So we were moved into a proper court room with a judge. Then he told the judge that we couldn't sue him because he signed as an attorny in fact. The judge agreed. My question is, do I now go after this guy as the agent for his mother, or do I have to go after the elderly mother?
Q: My question is, do I now go after this guy as the agent for his mother, or do I have to go after the elderly mother?

A: Ma.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">