• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going after landlord - What address?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

udx

I reside in Illinois, and the apartment was rented in Wheeling, IL.

In a nutshell, phone calls and letters did not result in security deposit recovery - the only action I have left is taking landlord to court.

To shorten the story, the building is 5 or 5+ units. Security deposit was given to management company that has an office in nearby building.

I have been reading everywhere trying to find a thorough document which would give me a rules and regulations that would apply for City Of Wheeling, IL. Even if I do find that document my major problem is the landlords address.

So here are my questions;

1. Can I file a claim in small claims court to landlord's work address? (I was given "secretly" a phone number where I could also reach my landlord according to the management company - The company where landlord is working as a vice president is not related to the management company - it's just a phone number where I could reach him).

2a. If no (no need to read this further)

2b. If yes then should I also file a claim against the management company and does it have to be a full name of the person with the management work address? I have read a small guide here; Illinois Legal Aid | How to Get Your Security Deposit Back in Illinois (5 or more apartments)

"You need to have the correct name and address of your landlord. You will list your landlord as the defendant in the case. You should list the owner of the building as a defendant. Also, you should list the manager of the building as a defendant if the manager received and held your security deposit.

If you do not know the name of the owner, you should check records kept in the county clerk's office in your county to find out who the owner is of the property. You will be listed as the plaintiff."

3. I already talked to an attorney about this and if all of the above is NO NO, then the only thing I can do is go to another attorney and go after the trust since the building is actually owned in a trust, and several buildings have different owners.

Thanks for any help.

Dandy Don

Yes, the landlord's work address would be acceptable, but primarily you want the name and address of the management company that is holding the deposit.

Also helpful in finding names of company owners and/or there registered agent is the Illinois Secretary of State website where you can look up company names.

udx

Thanks huge for your response.

But there are a couple of things;

I don't have copy of lease anymore.

Do I just go to the office and say hey due to legal issues I need the property management information, I mean I don't even know who the property manager was?

I guess my best question is what's the best way to obtain the property manager and management company information?

My Security Deposit was given to them, but I don't know if they held on to it.

Lastly, the property managment was Hunt Club Apartments in Wheeling, IL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">