• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to Court Sept. 19th

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sprout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am being sued in small claims court by my former landlord. I have tried to settle out of court with them to no avail.

I have been asking for documents from them to help defend my case, which I've been sent most of (they claim they don't have all the documents that I've been asking for since February). The last packet of information I've received from my former landlords included a letter that was also sent to the court stating that all documents that are to be used in court need to be shared with both parties 30 days before the court date.

My question is that as a defendant, do I need to share all the documents that I have to defend my case? For example, I have printed out landlord/tenant laws, copies of 2 money orders, one she recorded as payment, one she did not. Also, if I have another former tenant of theirs coming in, do I need to make them aware of that?

Thank you for your help.

jdawg83

The best way to answer your question is to look up the rules of civil procedure for your state. When you pull up those rules research "Disclosure and Discovery" which is basically what you are asking about. If you can not find the Rules for Discovery in your state, Google the Fed Rules of Civil Procedure. Most states use the same rules that the FRCP mandate.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">