• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

going to be sued... PLEASE HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

therapywrks

What is the name of your state? California

My ex-boyfriend "gave" me money when I was not working, etc. I have an email from him indicating that he was glad to help me and wishes he could have given me more, and that his money is my money and no need for me to worry, and that I don't have to give it back. He deposited "cash" into "my" account. About 6 weeks after, I ended up breaking up with him. He got mad and stated that he wanted money back. I dont think i owe him, since he said in email i didnt need to give it back.

what do you think? Will i have to pay $$ when we go to court? I dont think he has proof, since he gave me cash, etc.

no contract/agreement was ever ever made.

Last edited:

JETX

No one can 'devine' what might happen in court but if the situation is as you describe AND if you have a provable email, I would assume that you have a fairly good defense against his claim.

dakoto70

But

Legally, you probably don't have to pay it back unless he can prove it is a loan and from what you say he can't prove this. But morally, don't you think you should pay him back the money since he gave it to you out of kindness, to help you out??? I know this isn't a morality board but people like you make me mad. He did this and that for me but now I don't want to pay him back so I am not going to. baby games and if I was him I would make sure that every one I came in contact with new what kind of person you were.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">