• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a good letter of consideration?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosterx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Dear Honorable Judge
My name is ___ and I am a nineteen year old college student from Irvine, California. I want to thank you for your initial reduction of my fine as I believe you are a very understanding person and use righteous judgement. I received a citation on 10/05/2013 for using my GPS on my cellphone (while stopped at a red light), for not having a front license plate, and for having an expired insurance card in my vehicle. Unfortunately, I failed to present the right proof of insurance to the bailiff because my insurance company sent me documents that the court did not consider to be proof. I believe that my fine should be further reduced because $865 is a devastating amount of money for me to pay for this traffic ticket, especially in my poor financial situation. I am also able to provide the right proof of correction. Here is a little background on my case:
Due to the many stresses of a young man trying to figure out his life (school, work, financial difficulty, girls), I forgot about my initial court date, and failed to appear on 11/19/2013. I would also like to mention that I did not receive my ticket in the mail. Regardless, this was an irresponsible mistake that I will never repeat; I learned the hard way. On 2/10/2014, I appeared in court, plead not-guilty, and was asked to return again on 2/18/14 with proof of correction for my insurance and license plate issue.
I contacted my insurance company and asked them to send me proof that I had insurance at the time of the citation and they sent me documents containing my plan and also containing a statement that said I had “no lapse in coverage”. Thinking this was proof, I brought it to the court on 2/18/14 and also brought proof for my license plate fix. After changing my plea to guilty, I merely mentioned to you that I had these proofs, thinking that was the proper way to present the proof. You generously reduced my fine and sent me to the cashier’s office. Disregarding the fact that no one asked to actually see the proof, I arrived at the cashier’s office and learned that my fine was still at a substantial $900. The cashier said I did not have my proof of correction for either of my charges so I returned that same day at 1:30 to see you again. After a three hour wait, I was not allowed to see you because I had the wrong proof of correction for my insurance citation. Luckily, she allowed me to turn in my proof for the license plate and you again reduced my fine to $865.
Please consider reducing my fine further because I have an array of other payments to take care of including a broken car, fractured wrist, and college tuition. I made mistakes but my charges did not endanger anybody and I sincerely am sorry for misunderstanding court procedures. My single mother is in very poor financial circumstances so I am forced to pay this citation with my savings. I learned my lesson and now understand the severity of being irresponsible.

Thank you kindly,

Last edited by a moderator:

Proserpina

In all honesty, the letter is unlikely to even reach the Judge. I believe the statute of limitations for an appeal has expired.

Please standby though, others may have more information.

The information you're providing was meant to be submitted to the court - not the Judge's desk.

Eekamouse

You should be happy that your fine was reduced in the first place. You being a college student, poor, etc. etc. is very sad but anyone can come up with a sad story. Why should you be given extra consideration and a lower fine? What makes you so unique?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Dear Honorable Judge
My name is ___ and I am a nineteen year old college student from Irvine, California. I want to thank you for your initial reduction of my fine as I believe you are a very understanding person and use righteous judgement. I received a citation on 10/05/2013 for using my GPS on my cellphone (while stopped at a red light), for not having a front license plate, and for having an expired insurance card in my vehicle. Unfortunately, I failed to present the right proof of insurance to the bailiff because my insurance company sent me documents that the court did not consider to be proof. I believe that my fine should be further reduced because $865 is a devastating amount of money for me to pay for this traffic ticket, especially in my poor financial situation. I am also able to provide the right proof of correction. Here is a little background on my case:
Due to the many stresses of a young man trying to figure out his life (school, work, financial difficulty, girls), I forgot about my initial court date, and failed to appear on 11/19/2013. I would also like to mention that I did not receive my ticket in the mail. Regardless, this was an irresponsible mistake that I will never repeat; I learned the hard way. On 2/10/2014, I appeared in court, plead not-guilty, and was asked to return again on 2/18/14 with proof of correction for my insurance and license plate issue.
I contacted my insurance company and asked them to send me proof that I had insurance at the time of the citation and they sent me documents containing my plan and also containing a statement that said I had “no lapse in coverage”. Thinking this was proof, I brought it to the court on 2/18/14 and also brought proof for my license plate fix. After changing my plea to guilty, I merely mentioned to you that I had these proofs, thinking that was the proper way to present the proof. You generously reduced my fine and sent me to the cashier’s office. Disregarding the fact that no one asked to actually see the proof, I arrived at the cashier’s office and learned that my fine was still at a substantial $900. The cashier said I did not have my proof of correction for either of my charges so I returned that same day at 1:30 to see you again. After a three hour wait, I was not allowed to see you because I had the wrong proof of correction for my insurance citation. Luckily, she allowed me to turn in my proof for the license plate and you again reduced my fine to $865.
Please consider reducing my fine further because I have an array of other payments to take care of including a broken car, fractured wrist, and college tuition. I made mistakes but my charges did not endanger anybody and I sincerely am sorry for misunderstanding court procedures. My single mother is in very poor financial circumstances so I am forced to pay this citation with my savings. I learned my lesson and now understand the severity of being irresponsible.

Thank you kindly,
With all these problems, one would think that you would take extra care to obey the law in order to avoid tickets.

No, this letter won't even get to the judge. Your time to bring these things up was at the hearing. As was said previously, you are lucky you got the reduction that you did.

Rosterx

Why do I have to be unique... The better question is why would i pay $865 for such a stupid ticket? I just wanted to get home form south central LA...and I happened to miss a court date. The insurance company sent me the wrong document. Therefore I have to lose half my bank account? Great system we have here. So is there really NOTHING I can do??

Proserpina

Why do I have to be unique... The better question is why would i pay $865 for such a stupid ticket? I just wanted to get home form south central LA...and I happened to miss a court date. The insurance company sent me the wrong document. Therefore I have to lose half my bank account? Great system we have here. So is there really NOTHING I can do??
You're expected to attend, or ask properly for a continuation.

It's not their fault that you didn't bother to attend. You have no defense, and you're past the SOL. Pay the ticket.

Eekamouse

Why? Because that's the fine you were assessed, that's why.:rolleyes: If you don't like it, stop driving your car until you're mature enough to accept that you have responsibilities when you drive and there are repercussions when you break the law. It's on you to make sure you have a current insurance document to present the police during a traffic stop. It's on you to review the document sent to you by your insurance company to make sure it's the one the court wants. It's on you to know the law about front license plates. Get it?

quincy

You would pay the $865 for such a stupid ticket because you stupidly had three violations when you were stopped and you stupidly failed to appear at your initial hearing and then you stupidly brought the wrong proof of insurance to court on the next scheduled court date.

There is a chance the court will agree to a payment arrangement, so that you do not have to deplete your bank account. Payment arrangements are made routinely for those in Michigan who have low-incomes. I am not sure if California courts do this, but you can call and ask the court clerk. You would need to provide proof of income, assets, and expenses to qualify, more than likely.

Other than that, what you can do in the future is make sure you do not violate any more laws. That tends to be a good way to avoid costly tickets. ;)

Rosterx

I'm not here to justify my actions... I'm here asking if there's ANYTHING AT ALL that i can do to lower the fine more. I have the correct proof now, I don't give about how I didn't obey the law. The law is STUPID. I am losing half my savings because of a simple mistake that did not endanger or harm anyone.

Proserpina

I'm not here to justify my actions... I'm here asking if there's ANYTHING AT ALL that i can do to lower the fine more. I have the correct proof now, I don't give about how I didn't obey the law. The law is STUPID. I am losing half my savings because of a simple mistake that did not endanger or harm anyone.

Child, behave yourself. You're not hanging out behind the bike sheds here.

Personally, I couldn't care less about your whining. But still, we provide information pertaining to your situation.

Now. Wash your mouth out with soap, pay the ticket and grow up.

(not necessarily in that order)

Rosterx

You guys are a sad bunch. I'm obviously thankful for your advice, but you clearly have lost touch with what's important in this life. the LAW. It is designed POORLY. I don't deserve enormous fines because of my stupidity JUST BECAUSE ITS THE LAW. That DOES NOT HELP ME AT ALL IN LIFE. Stop focusing on the way I speak, and focus on the fact that I am in the process of being screwed up the butt by a system that demonizes mercy... I am happy to pay the "failure to appear" part of it, but about half of that $865 is from the insurance part, which I HAD! I just want to know if there is ANYTHING I can do. Why did the clerk tell me to write a letter of consideration if it's pointless? Either the system is or she legit tried to help me.

TigerD

You guys are a sad bunch. I'm obviously thankful for your advice, but you clearly have lost touch with what's important in this life. THE LAW. It is designed POORLY. I don't deserve enormous fines because of my stupidity JUST BECAUSE ITS THE LAW. That DOES NOT HELP ME AT ALL IN LIFE. Stop focusing on the way I speak, and focus on the fact that I am in the process of being screwed up the butt by a system that demonizes mercy... I am happy to pay the "failure to appear" part of it, but about half of that $865 is from the insurance part, which I HAD! I just want to know if there is ANYTHING I can do. Why did the clerk tell me to write a letter of consideration if it's pointless? Either the system is , or she legit tried to help me.
For crying out loud, you are in college. We would think that is because you learned somewhere that stupidly and ignorance are expensive. The law doesn't merely require you to have insurance - it requires you to have proof you have insurance. The clerk can't give you legal advice. Frankly, she was probably trying to get rid of you so she could get back to important issues.

You are not simply paying for the ticket. You are paying the lesson that ticket bought you -- When the Court orders you to be at a specific place at a specific time -GET YOURSELF THERE AT THE APPOINTED PLACE AND TIME. You are paying for the lesson - shut up and learn it.

DC

Rosterx

For crying out loud, you are in college. We would think that is because you learned somewhere that stupidly and ignorance are expensive. The law doesn't merely require you to have insurance - it requires you to have proof you have insurance. The clerk can't give you legal advice. Frankly, she was probably trying to get rid of you so she could get back to important issues.

You are not simply paying for the ticket. You are paying the lesson that ticket bought you -- When the Court orders you to be at a specific place at a specific time -GET YOURSELF THERE AT THE APPOINTED PLACE AND TIME. You are paying for the lesson - shut up and learn it.

DC
You honestly think I didn't learn my lesson? I obviously did. Do I think it's a reasonable amount of money to pay for "learning to show up to court on time". NO. Will I show up to court on time next time? No, there won't be a next time. Thank you for being useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">