• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got towed from a visitor parking space...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dirt digger

Name of State: Pennsylvania

So here is a quick question and a long story short. I went to visit my friend in an apartment. I know I parked in front of a visitor parking sign. Wake up the next morning to find my truck gone, it got towed. Went to the towing company said I wasn't paying and showed them a picture of the sign that said "Visitor Parking Only 24 Hour Limit" He told me I parked in the spot next to the sign (there was a row of 10 spaces the sign was in the middle). Called the police and they said they couldn't do anything because it was towed from a private lot.

Called the apartment building after paying $175 to get it out. They say that the tow truck driver said I parked next to the sign so they are sticking to that. I told them even if that was the case the sign does not state that Visitor parking is for that space, and that space only. There were no paint markings on the ground besides the lines (unlike a handicap spot which she compared this to), just the sign. I asked how, as a visitor, I was supposed to know out of a row of 10 spaces that sign was for only 1 space in the middle.

She said tough luck and hung up...I feel I am being taken advantage of...do I have any kind of case or should I just brush this thing off?

Thanks Guys,
Bryan W.

Mass_Shyster

Name of State: Pennsylvania

So here is a quick question and a long story short. I went to visit my friend in an apartment. I know I parked in front of a visitor parking sign. Wake up the next morning to find my truck gone, it got towed. Went to the towing company said I wasn't paying and showed them a picture of the sign that said "Visitor Parking Only 24 Hour Limit" He told me I parked in the spot next to the sign (there was a row of 10 spaces the sign was in the middle). Called the police and they said they couldn't do anything because it was towed from a private lot.

Called the apartment building after paying $175 to get it out. They say that the tow truck driver said I parked next to the sign so they are sticking to that. I told them even if that was the case the sign does not state that Visitor parking is for that space, and that space only. There were no paint markings on the ground besides the lines (unlike a handicap spot which she compared this to), just the sign. I asked how, as a visitor, I was supposed to know out of a row of 10 spaces that sign was for only 1 space in the middle.

She said tough luck and hung up...I feel I am being taken advantage of...do I have any kind of case or should I just brush this thing off?

Thanks Guys,
Bryan W.
Sure, you can sue the towing operator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">