• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wvboycleve

WV

19 June 2009

To whom it may concern,

I am trying to decide if I have recourse of action within the statute of law in West Virginia. I will make this direct and to the point.

I work as an independent contractor in WV. I was contracted to do work for a company in Texas. They had a HUD contract to oversee inspections of Multifamily HUD dwellings being built in WV and VA as well as a few other states. My work for them was to oversee buildings being constructed in Southwestern Virginia.

They lost their HUD contract and they owe me over $10,000 at this time. Some of this money due to me is for work I did in January through April of this year. I feel as if through their deeds and actions they have no intention of settling this debt with me. It is my understanding that the Texas Company I worked for may soon file bankruptcy.

I am trying to see what options may be available to me concerning the laws of this state.

An advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandyclaus

Well, that sucks

WV

19 June 2009

To whom it may concern,

I am trying to decide if I have recourse of action within the statute of law in West Virginia. I will make this direct and to the point.

I work as an independent contractor in WV. I was contracted to do work for a company in Texas. They had a HUD contract to oversee inspections of Multifamily HUD dwellings being built in WV and VA as well as a few other states. My work for them was to oversee buildings being constructed in Southwestern Virginia.

They lost their HUD contract and they owe me over $10,000 at this time. Some of this money due to me is for work I did in January through April of this year. I feel as if through their deeds and actions they have no intention of settling this debt with me. It is my understanding that the Texas Company I worked for may soon file bankruptcy.

I am trying to see what options may be available to me concerning the laws of this state.

An advice you could give me would be appreciated.
If you had a legitimate contract with the company, and fulfilled your part by doing the work, then the company should have no excuse for not paying you. The fact that they relied upon a HUD contract for funding only means that they reasonably relied upon that funding, but it wasn't a guarantee. HUD didn't hire you, the company with the HUD contract did, so you can't sue HUD for reimbursement either, I don't think.

Why on earth did you continue to do work for 4 months under contract without demanding to be paid? What were the payment terms under your contract? At what point did you realize there was a problem, and did you stop performing the work once the company breached it's work contract with you?

BTW, check your contract. If you do sue, it may be a requirement that you go thru some arbitration first, or if you file suit, it might have to be done in Texas. I'm not positive, but I believe that a small claims case in Texas can be with attorney representation in court (most are self-represented). But depending on the dollar amount, it could be something outside the jurisdictional limit. But again, even if you win, you'd likely have a problem collecting with that bankruptcy looming.

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to at least consult an attorney for further advice on the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">