• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather Sued by Chiropractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madlec.bz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My Grandfather saw a chiropractor after a car accident where a car hit him from behind.

Doctor said they accepted medicare and quoted him 65 or so per visit. Medicare was supposed to cover 50 something dollars and leave only 10 for my grandfather.

After 24 visits, medicare stopped paying.

After 28 visits, my grandparent found out and stopped going.

We found out that even though he was quoted 65, the doctor sent in a claim on 135 to medicare and added on numerous charges per visit. Medicare turned out to only cover 35 dollars instead of 50. No doctor is suing my grandfather for 900+ dollars in addition to court fees.

I found the following text on of the documents my granfather had to sign before paying for treatment. Are there any precedents I could give to a judge about this guy's unethical behavior? Any way to get out of this? Please help.

"I understand that no guarantee can or has been made as to the results of care. I also certify that I have read and understood that the above payment(s) will be expected according to my payment option chosen. Additional services will incur additional fees. I recognize that my insurance (if applicable) is a contract between my insurance carrier and myself, ad I am personally responsible for payment of all services rendered. I agree to pay for any services reduced or denied by my insurance carrier. Any services unpaid after 60 days of the date of service by the insurance carrier for any reason will be paid by me personally and it is my responsibility to contact the insurance company for reimbursement. I understand that I am expected to keep my appointments. Any unused portion of pre-payment amount is refundable within 40 days of your last treatment, however, fees will be considered at the full charges and will be refunded after your insurance company has made all payments. All future treatment & prepayments will be forfeited following a 30 day absence from our office. I understand that if I paid for my care using Care Credit and request a refund for any reason, a 10% processing fee will be charged to me. Further, I understand that I am responsible for all court costs and attorney fees should collection proceedings become necessary. I have rad and fully understand these policies and procedures."

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My Grandfather saw a chiropractor after a car accident where a car hit him from behind.

Doctor said they accepted medicare and quoted him 65 or so per visit. Medicare was supposed to cover 50 something dollars and leave only 10 for my grandfather.

After 24 visits, medicare stopped paying.

After 28 visits, my grandparent found out and stopped going.

We found out that even though he was quoted 65, the doctor sent in a claim on 135 to medicare and added on numerous charges per visit. Medicare turned out to only cover 35 dollars instead of 50. No doctor is suing my grandfather for 900+ dollars in addition to court fees.

I found the following text on of the documents my granfather had to sign before paying for treatment. Are there any precedents I could give to a judge about this guy's unethical behavior? Any way to get out of this? Please help.

"I understand that no guarantee can or has been made as to the results of care. I also certify that I have read and understood that the above payment(s) will be expected according to my payment option chosen. Additional services will incur additional fees. I recognize that my insurance (if applicable) is a contract between my insurance carrier and myself, ad I am personally responsible for payment of all services rendered. I agree to pay for any services reduced or denied by my insurance carrier. Any services unpaid after 60 days of the date of service by the insurance carrier for any reason will be paid by me personally and it is my responsibility to contact the insurance company for reimbursement. I understand that I am expected to keep my appointments. Any unused portion of pre-payment amount is refundable within 40 days of your last treatment, however, fees will be considered at the full charges and will be refunded after your insurance company has made all payments. All future treatment & prepayments will be forfeited following a 30 day absence from our office. I understand that if I paid for my care using Care Credit and request a refund for any reason, a 10% processing fee will be charged to me. Further, I understand that I am responsible for all court costs and attorney fees should collection proceedings become necessary. I have rad and fully understand these policies and procedures."

It would appear that your grandfather is responsible for the bill.

Grandfather should have checked with the insurance carrier before the treatments went ahead as to what was and wasn't going to be covered; it is not the provider's responsibility to do that.

Betty

Agree, your grandfather received the treatments - he is responsible for what the ins. co. does not pay. Someone has to pay the chiropractor & the patient is ultimately responsible for seeing that they are paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">