• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Graphic designer wants to take me to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lemon40

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois.

A graphic designer I have been working with said that he would take me to court since I did not like his design. I don't want to pay for it (since I am not going to use it NOR do I have it) But he wants me to pay for the work he did. Does he have a case? There is no contract involved.

Mass_Shyster

If you agreed to pay the graphic designer to do this work, then there is a contract involved. Not all contracts are written.

Did the designer agree to create a design subject to your personal satisfaction, or did the designer agree to create a design?

If sounds like the designer has a strong case, unless you are willing to testify, under oath, that you never agreed to pay for the work.

lemon40

I agreed that i would pay for the work but it did not come out good at all. sigh looks like I'll have to pay for it anyway.

xylene

You do not have a written contract.

Your oral contract is in dispute.

The designer is owed nothing more than "quantum meruit" or the value of the work.

In this case the designer has not delivered and the product does not match the specifications.

Also this designer is kidding himself he thinks he can keep the work and collect payment.

In the future NEVER contract design work without a VERY SPECIFIC written contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">