• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sphie.2222

Indiana

Do I need to sue the Guardian of a person who handles their financial assests if the person was able to swear oath and take the stand in a court of law on March 14, 2012? I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and will be suing in Small Claims Court on May 1, 2012.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
PM from the OP:

sphie.2222 said:
The person has personal belongings and a car that was signed over to me. I have a copy of the original title that was signed by the person. The Guardian has done nothing to me. I was told by the other person's attorney that I would have to sue the guardian. But the person was able to stand up in court and testify under oath on March 14, 2012.

The two issues are unrelated. Being under a guardianship does not automatically preclude a person from being able to testify in court.

With that said, I would suggest that you name both parties, possibly naming the guardian in such a way as to show you are suing based only on his position as guardian. I would also suggest that you arrange a short consultation with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">