• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handyman Took $1700 and Split, Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julbox3134

Georgia
We hired a handyman (complete with a signed contract) we learned about on the bulletin board at our local Lowe's. With materials and labor he quoted us a price that we agreed to. He told us that the way he conducted business was for us to give him the money upfront for the materials and then pay the balance (labor charges) once work was complete and we were satisfied with his work. The first thing he was to do was to do some work on our hot water tank. He did half of the job and told me he would finish the next day. Te problem with that is that he didn't properly vent what he did and it is a hazard that we have since been told that if the county were to come out and inspect they would shut the gas off it is so bad. Also, he hung some new doors and basically put the locks in at an angle which made them impossible to operate and butchered another door where the hinges were. It is really awful. The next day he called and said he would be late and never showed up at all. My husband attempted to contact him and the calls weren't returned. He cashed two checks totaling $1610.00 and I gave him $100.00 in cash. He had ordered flooring for my kitchen that won't be in until tomorrow so I don't know if he will attempt to pick it up or not. Besides the fact the hot water tank is now a hazard, we are screwed out of a bunch of money. What can we do in this situation or is it just a hard lesson learned (God I hope not)!

JETX

File on him in the local small claims court.
It is very likely that you will find LOTS of people in line ahead of you against this scammer.
You might also try contacting your local BBB to minimize the chances of other victims to this guys scam.

You might also contact the local police department to see if they have an active fraud file open on this individual (or company).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">