• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassing Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MingysKitty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I am being harassed by a cop neighbor and his 2 children and very angry wife, over parking. Because I live alone, they feel the empty spaces in front of my unit are for their use. It's been told to them many many times to use the empty spaces in front of their unit (they live across from me) or park by the Clubhouse. They never park at the Clubhouse. They park 4 cars permanently and one in front of my home. The Board states because we do not have assigned parking, there is little they can do. However, I feel because of the harassment, they should be able to adopt or enforce something. I have been called an 'old hag', I should drop dead or move away, everyone hates me. I should 'get a life', they have spit at me, they stare at me, jeer and make fun of me. They bring their dog over to pee on my tires. When I move my car for an errand, they park in my space. They have called the police on me. They taunt me on a daily basis, as far as the pregnant sister-in-law standing in back of my car arms folded every night when I came home from work. I have begged the Board to do something.
What can I do? This is all over a parking space .. The Mister (the cop) has spoken to my neighbors about me, slandering my name.
I just want them to move their 4th car from in front of my home, park on their side or the Clubhouse and leave me alone to live in peace!

racer72

If you don't own the property where the car is parked, you have no legal right to say who can park there. What you feel is irrelevant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I am being harassed by a cop neighbor and his 2 children and very angry wife, over parking. Because I live alone, they feel the empty spaces in front of my unit are for their use. It's been told to them many many times to use the empty spaces in front of their unit (they live across from me) or park by the Clubhouse. They never park at the Clubhouse. They park 4 cars permanently and one in front of my home. The Board states because we do not have assigned parking, there is little they can do. However, I feel because of the harassment, they should be able to adopt or enforce something. I have been called an 'old hag', I should drop dead or move away, everyone hates me. I should 'get a life', they have spit at me, they stare at me, jeer and make fun of me. They bring their dog over to pee on my tires. When I move my car for an errand, they park in my space. They have called the police on me. They taunt me on a daily basis, as far as the pregnant sister-in-law standing in back of my car arms folded every night when I came home from work. I have begged the Board to do something.
What can I do? This is all over a parking space .. The Mister (the cop) has spoken to my neighbors about me, slandering my name.
I just want them to move their 4th car from in front of my home, park on their side or the Clubhouse and leave me alone to live in peace!
They live across from you. Why don't YOU park in front of THEIR place? It sounds like there is plenty of parking there...and it's only a few extra feet.

swalsh411

they park in my space.
You just said there is no assigned parking so you don't have a space. As long as you can park reasonably close to your front door you have no reason to complain. It sounds like they are bothering you because you are complaining about something you have no right to complain about. If I were you I would drop the matter and it should blow over. If anything you are the one who is bringing the drama not then. You have no right to say where they can park.

MingysKitty

I am not opposed to anyone parking around me. You are correct, I do not 'own' the property but I pay Association fees and I feel I have the right to a peaceful neighborhood and should be able to come home from work without being harassed, which no one addressed. Bullying, harassment, threatening has made huge headlines in schools, what's the difference here. I'm a 5'0" woman against a 6'0" man, plus 2 teenage boys and a mentally unstable wife. I pay taxes, work, pay Association fees, put out my garbage and do what I'm supposed to do and all I expect is a little peace and quiet. Would you like your neighbors dog to pee on your car? Park in front of their house, the wife would go ballistic. Did I mention I live alone, if there were a man there, would the man cop do this? This is outright harassment! I'm not just complaining, I am screaming for help before you read about a kid using their cop father's gun to shoot a neighbor ... Legal rights to a parking space or not, I'm getting buillied!

Last edited:

csi7

Simple solution: take a picture of the empty parking space in front of their door, take a picture of the surrounding parking area, take a picture of the parking space in front of your door, time, date, and keep the pictures until you have a series of pictures that prove your case.

Then, ask reasonably around, research, and learn the "unwritten" rules of the police force there. Do this quietly.

When you have the situation fully researched, then present the evidence to the person who can help you resolve this situation quietly. I guarantee that if you go in a different direction for help, you will be left alone.

I did this with my next door neighbor, who was using the "unwritten" policy to enforce the situation in his favor. Once the group of individuals were informed one-on-one, one by one, his bullying tactics backfired.

Just be positive, calm, professional in your queries, and you'll find the information you need.

Zigner

Simple solution: take a picture of the empty parking space in front of their door, take a picture of the surrounding parking area, take a picture of the parking space in front of your door, time, date, and keep the pictures until you have a series of pictures that prove your case.
If the OP had any sort of "case" then this would make sense ;)

MingysKitty

csi7 -
That is exactly what I did and the mother of the cop came barreling out of their house screaming at me with the boys behind her screaming at me that I was an "old hag" - they hated me - move out!! It was horrible, then the parents came home and they didn't ask, what happened, the crazy wife came right at me, they had to hold her back! Can you imagine this? I told them to let her go, let her hit me, then this would all be over, they were screaming at me 'YOU'D LIKE THAT, WOULDN'T YOU" I said, Yes, I would! The kids threatened me, "We know how to take care of you, our Dad is a cop" Then the father, The cop was in my face - then they called the cops on me, and the one cop told me, in the nicest way, lady just go in the house, I could see the frustration in his face.
I showed the pictures to the Board, they don't want to do anything (personally I think it's because he's a cop) and they all live locally. It's been terrible for me. I went to the local police and I would have to press charges against them and I'm a little afraid ...

Zigner

You know...maybe you should consider moving.

There's nothing this site can do to help you - sorry.

MingysKitty

Well, Zigner,

I wasn't expecting this site to do anything... but move? Are you aware of real estate market, especially in Jersey, real estate advice wasn't what I was looking for ..
Was just looking for a little insight, maybe a little advice.. some ideas, I've already been harassed, don't need anymore of that ..a little empathy but not here, huh?

Zigner

Well, Zigner,

I wasn't expecting this site to do anything... but move? Are you aware of real estate market, especially in Jersey, real estate advice wasn't what I was looking for ..
Was just looking for a little insight, maybe a little advice.. some ideas, I've already been harassed, don't need anymore of that ..a little empathy but not here, huh?
You've received advice. You have a reason why the advice won't work to match every piece of advice.

This is a legal site. Please feel free to log on to www.woealwaysme.com for an empathetic support group.

Banned_Princess

Well, Zigner,

I'm sorry, but this is a legal forum, not an empathy site...and there is no legal advice we can give you that will help the situation.

we are sorry this has made you so uncomfortable, but theres nothing you can legally do.

sorry again.

MingysKitty

I get it! Whoaisme? whoa ..
You didn't make me feel uncomfortable, my neighbors already did that. Shame this world is full of people like this and you..'
Zigner - I feel sorry for you, maybe life or awful neighbors made you so mean I didn't do anything to you to warrant such an awful reply, don't bother answering me I won't be reading it ... I won't be using this site again, nor would I recommend it .. this was for advice not to badger me .. God bless you, all

PS - thank you csI7 you were the kindest!

Zigner

I get it! Whoaisme? whoa ..
You didn't make me feel uncomfortable, my neighbors already did that. Shame this world is full of people like this and you..'
Zigner - I feel sorry for you, maybe life or awful neighbors made you so mean I didn't do anything to you to warrant such an awful reply, don't bother answering me I won't be reading it ... I won't be using this site again, nor would I recommend it .. this was for advice not to badger me .. God bless you, all

PS - thank you csI7 you were the kindest!
csi7 was also the one who didn't provide any legally actionable advice :rolleyes:

Good day!

swalsh411

You are only being harassed and ridiculed because you are making demands you have no right to be making. They aren't your parking spots! You have no right to demand people not park there. What part of the previous three sentences don't you get?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">