• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassing Telemarketers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcc210

New Jersey

So to make a long story short I keep getting these phone calls about every week or two. Its usually a different number every time but the same thing happens. I pick up and its an automated person saying "Hello, the FBI has reported an increase of break-in's in your area. If you allow us to put a sign in your yard we'll GIVE you a free home security system at no cost. Press 1 to speak to a representative press 2 to be places on our "Do Not Call" list. Well the first 3 times I pressed 2 (now over a month or so.) Got a call about a week and a half ago of the same thing so I spoke to the representative and told her, in my own way but very clear to place my number on the do not call list or delete it OR there's going to be problems. She proceeded to hang up on me. So I think its over. Well behold I get a call today, same thing. I press 1 get into someone called "Carlos" (they both had the same Hispanic accent) and told him very calmly that I am on the national do not call registry and that this is considered harassment and I have the right now to sue you. He replied with your right you have the legal right to sue me and if you did request to be put off the registry then "our machine must be broken". I told him after that I was on the national do not call registry anyway so it wouldn't matter. He then proceeded to tell me very quickly that it wasn't his fault it was the machine and hung up on me without letting me have my say. I tried to call back but not the line is coincidentally always busy. So here I am asking if there's anything I can do and if I was right in saying I could sue him for harassment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue who? I can guarantee you that the number on your caller id is NOT the number this guy is calling from.

Silverplum

New Jersey

So to make a long story short I keep getting these phone calls about every week or two. Its usually a different number every time but the same thing happens. I pick up and its an automated person saying "Hello, the FBI has reported an increase of break-in's in your area. If you allow us to put a sign in your yard we'll GIVE you a free home security system at no cost. Press 1 to speak to a representative press 2 to be places on our "Do Not Call" list. Well the first 3 times I pressed 2 (now over a month or so.) Got a call about a week and a half ago of the same thing so I spoke to the representative and told her, in my own way but very clear to place my number on the do not call list or delete it OR there's going to be problems. She proceeded to hang up on me. So I think its over. Well behold I get a call today, same thing. I press 1 get into someone called "Carlos" (they both had the same Hispanic accent) and told him very calmly that I am on the national do not call registry and that this is considered harassment and I have the right now to sue you. He replied with your right you have the legal right to sue me and if you did request to be put off the registry then "our machine must be broken". I told him after that I was on the national do not call registry anyway so it wouldn't matter. He then proceeded to tell me very quickly that it wasn't his fault it was the machine and hung up on me without letting me have my say. I tried to call back but not the line is coincidentally always busy. So here I am asking if there's anything I can do and if I was right in saying I could sue him for harassment.
Try again, cabron. There's no such thing as the bolded. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BL

Sign up your phone #s with the do not call list. It takes about 30 days. It will not stop all of them, but most.

Since moving and changing phone #'s I've been getting message ,one claims he's a collector . Call a #.

I don't call,ext.

If the calls are frequent during the week ,keep written track of dates and time and talk to your carrier about harassing phone call(s). Of course if they are foreign spammers you might want to wait for do-not call to kick I and hope they stop. Be aware some spammers/scammers want you to cll and it's a foreign # and will cost you plenty on your phone bill. I

Last edited:

jimnyc

Try again, cabron. There's no such thing as the bolded. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Perhaps not, but it's not like he purposely used it as an insult. The term "Hispanic accent" is actually rather popular, even if an incorrect term. My favorite TV show refers to one of it's characters as having a Hispanic accent (Game of Thrones).

Just Blue

New Jersey

Do what I do with these "people". Do not pick up the phone. If you don't know the number...just ignor it. :)

cornelia

Terrible caller!

New Jersey

Thanks for sharing! Did you get their phone number? these people should be exposed, they're obviously bluffing. You can try sue them but it'd be a long wait. What I think you should do is give them people a dose of their own medicine. Troll them or blow a whistle next time they call. Or if you're doing something, maybe you can just pretend you believe them and then place them on hold with a good excuse and continue with what you're doing. By wasting their time, you'd annoy them big time! :D:D

cornelia

You can try tips from https://www.callercenter.com/blg/articles/top-14-ways-to-annoy-telemarketers/ too! No.1 is my favorite. Lol! There are 14 tips to choose from and you'd b surprised, hearing them become frustrated would surely make your day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">