• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have Judgements - Now to Collect - How?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuperCat

My state is South Carolina
I have a long, drawn-out saga of an ex-boyfriend doing me wrong. Sparing the gory details (which aren't pertinent to this question) this has resulted in 4 separate lawsuits of which 3 are Small Claims and 1 is Circuit Court (has now been referred to the Master-In-Equity--an attorney is representing me on this one).

To keep my legal costs down, I represented myself in the three Small Claims Court cases and won all three of my cases. I have judgements in the amounts of $3,608.72, $3,608.72 and $1,000 against this guy. (Yes, those are two seperate judgements for the same amount -- its an ugly, weird story but it makes interesting conversation fodder at cocktail parties).

Now to collect! I am trying to keep my legal costs down and need advice. This guy does own a piece of real estate, can I attach my judgements? If so, how? I know who his employer is, can I garnishee any wages? If so, how?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

The following website w/SC Code of Laws, etc, will tell you what assets you can place a lien on to satisfy your judgment. Unfortunately, SC is one of 4 states in the US where you cannot garnish wages for a judgment debt. There was a bill proposed 2 years ago to change this, it is still in committee. Contact your local representative & ask about status. Because even if you place a lien on the real estate, you won't gain anything until he sells it. You may be able to place a lien on his bank account, check the website. Good luck!!

http://www.scstatehouse.net

SuperCat

Thank you for your help. I will check on that. I do some lobbying for my profession so I have a couple of contacts in the state legislature.

The guy the judgements are against does own real estate in this county (for now) and yesterday I spoke to the Clerk of Courts about the procedure to attach these judgements to that real estate.

The amusing part about that is that the boob is indeed trying to sell the property right now and it is the same piece of real estate that is "under fire" in the 4th case (the "big" one in Circuit Court) and has been referred to the Master in Equity for the County. This fourth case (that I am attorney represented on) is UGLY and STINKS to high heaven and last month the Circuit Court judge just said, let the Master sort it out!

They referred it to the Master in Equity and we are waiting for a hearing date. The unfortunate part for this idiot (oh and my heart is bleeding... ha, ha, can't you tell?) is that he lost his job last year (drugs and alcohol and too much jail time for beating up on his then girlfriend) and his bank is now getting ready to foreclose on the property since he is months behind on payments AND the bank discovered this 4th case that has been referred to the Master (it involves him not paying the down payment when he initially purchased the property).

Apparently I have him coming and going on this piece of property. He can't sell it right now if he wanted to and his bank is getting ready to foreclose on him anyway. Like I said it makes for interesting cocktail party conversation. I should probably nominate him as a candidate for the "World's Stupidest Lowlife" -- they do still give out the Darwin awards don't they?

hbreen

SuperCat, I am in SC as well, they have given you good info. Be sure that the MIE is aware of the attempt to sell the property, they may be able to help you with that.

I do work in Charleston County enforcing judgments, so I know that things do take a while with MIE, so hang in there!

HBreen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">