• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have some questions for you guys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DBry12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Ks
Hey everyone. I just joined up to try and get some questions answered. I am located in Kansas, more specifically in Wichita if it makes a difference. So here it goes:

I have a couple questions about small claims court. Back in August I had a new room mate move in. His third day living with me, his dog knocked over my 42" flat screen. It wasn't a big deal at the time because he immediately offered to buy me a new one the next day. Sure enough, the next day we went to best buy and he bought me another TV. The one I picked out was a little more than the broken one so I pitched in $100 cash(he put the rest on a best buy credit card). Everything was fine and dandy until I kicked him out at the end of September. Thats a long story in itself but the kid is worthless(and there was no lease agreement).

Well he was mad because I kicked him out. He gave me a $200 deposit in which I told him I would get him the next morning. He moved out the last day of September. He moved everything while I was in class (7:15-10:15pm). I came home to my replacement TV missing. I called him to try and talk some sense into him about taking it. Didn't work so I called the police. Made a police report but they said they couldn't do anything because there is no proof that the TV was mine, especially because he put it on his card. Later he sent me a text saying we are squared away, I could keep his deposit, he keeps the TV, and he doesn't have to pay any utilities(about $140) for the month he was here. In all, with him moving in, I was out about $900. So I'm on to the next step to small claims court. I know I've postponed this for so long, these last 6 months have been absolute chaos for me. My questions, how long after an incident happening can you file small claims? What are the costs that I'm looking at for filing? And how strong of a case does it sound like I have? I've kept the broken TV for evidence. My main concern is not even getting that TV back, but financial compensation for it. And I don't care about any of the utilities he walked out on as we didn't have any agreement on paper. Any help with this would be great as I've never had to deal with anything in court or small claims. Thanks again for any help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">