• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He took my Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizzy419

:confused: What is the name of your state? Brooklyn,NY
If someone gives you a Dog as a gift and then without your promise takes the dog back But the receipt of purchase is under your name, and all the Vet bills. He also signed a promissory note because of a 1,000. loan for damage to a BMW, and in the note he explains that the dog is a gift and had nothing to do with the loan. That he still has not payed back since August 19, 2003. Will I get my dog back or will they make him pay me for the value of the Dog its been 4 months since he took my Dog.

Last edited:

JETX

lizzy419 said:
what will I expect in Small claims court?
You should expect to be given the opportunity to explain your claim to the court.... and the defendant to present his/her claim. The court will then decide which side has the better legal merit and rule accordingly.

lizzy419

But will I get my dog back or will they make him pay me for the value of the Dog? Its been 4 months since he took my Dog.

PS Thank you for responding

Last edited:

JETX

lizzy419 said:
But will I get my dog back or will they make him pay me for the value of the Dog? Its been 4 months since he took my Dog.
Small claims courts are courts of monetary issues only and don't get into 'return the property' issues.
So, at best, you will get 'fair value' for the dog. Depending on breed and training, that could be anywhere from $10 or so up to maybe $100.00.
In law, dogs are not pets, they are simply 'property'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">