• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sweetangel75633

What is the name of your state? texas. i loaned 2000.00 to a friend for lawyer fees for her divorce, now i am having some trouble getting my money back from her. i was told to take her to small claims court, but she lives in louisiana, i live in texas, if i take her in texas, can i have her wages garnished in louisiana?? i am really needing some input on this so any help you can give is much appreciated.. thank you.

JETX

"if i take her in texas, can i have her wages garnished in louisiana??"
*** Sort of.....
The problem is, Louisiana will not recognize the Texas courts order to garnish wages in Lousiana. This would mean that, if you were to get a Texas judgment, you would have to have it domesticated into Lousiana court in order to have the legal right to Louisiana laws (and judgment enforcement).

Suggestion: Go ahead and sue her in Louisiana ($3000 limit), then you can start enforcement of the judgment without any extra cost, delay or issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">