• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RayofSunshine

What is the name of your state? MI

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here it goes. I put some of my things (furniture, my clothes, my kids clothes, winter jackets, etc) in a storage area that I was sharing with a guy I was dating at the time. when we broke up he took my things out of the storage area and put them somewhere. i have tried to contact him many times and even set up times/places to collect my things and every time I arrive he is no where and then later comes up with excuses on why he wasn't there.

he has since threatened me, and threatened to throw my things away. things have gotten really nasty and now he feels that I owe him money. which is absurd! he wants me to BUY my things from him. is there anything I can do?? I tried contacting the PD but they basically said they can't "make" him do anything since we never lived together but they can be there so that he doesn't try to harm me.

Is he breaking any laws?? Please help!!

HomeGuru

RayofSunshine said:
What is the name of your state? MI

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here it goes. I put some of my things (furniture, my clothes, my kids clothes, winter jackets, etc) in a storage area that I was sharing with a guy I was dating at the time. when we broke up he took my things out of the storage area and put them somewhere. i have tried to contact him many times and even set up times/places to collect my things and every time I arrive he is no where and then later comes up with excuses on why he wasn't there.

he has since threatened me, and threatened to throw my things away. things have gotten really nasty and now he feels that I owe him money. which is absurd! he wants me to BUY my things from him. is there anything I can do?? I tried contacting the PD but they basically said they can't "make" him do anything since we never lived together but they can be there so that he doesn't try to harm me.

Is he breaking any laws?? Please help!!
**A: did you ask the PD if they could just shoot him then?

JETX

"I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here it goes. I put some of my things (furniture, my clothes, my kids clothes, winter jackets, etc) in a storage area that I was sharing with a guy I was dating at the time."
*** And what EXACTLY was your agreement as to the property?? When did you promise to recover YOUR property?? Did you promise to pay for this storage?? If so, did you??

"when we broke up he took my things out of the storage area and put them somewhere."
*** How long has it been since the property was removed?? And why was it removed??

"i have tried to contact him many times and even set up times/places to collect my things and every time I arrive he is no where and then later comes up with excuses on why he wasn't there."
*** And when did you contact him in WRITING demanding your property?? And what was his response??

"he has since threatened me, and threatened to throw my things away. things have gotten really nasty and now he feels that I owe him money. which is absurd!"
*** Why is that absurd?? Was he paying for the storage unit?? Did you have an obligation to pay anything??

"he wants me to BUY my things from him. is there anything I can do??"
*** Yes. You can determine the value of the improperly held property and file a lawsuit against him for that amount.

"I tried contacting the PD but they basically said they can't "make" him do anything since we never lived together but they can be there so that he doesn't try to harm me."
*** And that is correct. Simply, you allowed him to take custody of the property, and any attempt to recover it (or compensation) is a civil matter.

"Is he breaking any laws??"
*** Not based on the contents of your post.

R

RayofSunshine

" And what EXACTLY was your agreement as to the property?? When did you promise to recover YOUR property?? Did you promise to pay for this storage?? If so, did you??"

**I willingly placed them in a storage area he was using. I was never asked to pay anything. there was never an agreement made about when my things had to be picked up. I tried getting them back after we broke up in fear that he would mess with them, thats when he refused me access.

"How long has it been since the property was removed?? And why was it removed??"

**I placed them in the storage area in aug. he moved them in sept/oct sometime, because we broke up and he wanted to be a jerk :rolleyes:

"And when did you contact him in WRITING demanding your property?? And what was his response??"

**I have them printed out from emails. he always agreed to meet, but denied me access to my things when I wouldn't pay him.

"Why is that absurd?? Was he paying for the storage unit?? Did you have an obligation to pay anything??"

**it's absurd because I was never asked to pay anything on the storage unit. he wants money from me because he feels that is what he is "owed" from our relationship not working out.

"Yes. You can determine the value of the improperly held property and file a lawsuit against him for that amount."

**I've already started looking into that. thank you :)

"And that is correct. Simply, you allowed him to take custody of the property, and any attempt to recover it (or compensation) is a civil matter."

**Even if he moved it from one place to another without my knowledge or permission? isn't that theft?

"Not based on the contents of your post."

**again thank you for your time and input :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">