• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alison954

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North carolina

Me and my Ex-boyfriend had a credit card together, we broke up in april and I just recently got a bill that he charged onto the joint account...I texted him and emailed him asking him why he was using it and told him he had to pay it off and get it out of my name..I cancelled the account...I think I went wrong when I didn't send him the bill..I was just keeping it for my records just in case he tried to say he didn't charge anything or tried to say I did it. But I guess it back fired..I wrote him an email about all of this and told him to go on line and make his account for the bill and get all of his info in it so they can do an address change and he can pay it online...
the bill didn't get paid and I emailed him and told him that he had to pay it or I was going to get legal matter involved.
He wrote back that its not his fault cause he didn't know the date it was due, and i said no when he asked for the bill...(there is where I think i went wrong...even though I gave him all the info to where he could pay it, i guess i failed to give him the actual bill)
so words were said and i told him, that he ignored me and didnt give me his address so i couldn't send it to him...so i dont know who has the upper hand here, and I am very frustrated and i don't even know if i have any grounds to bring him to court...he also said he called his attorney and she said that even if he pays the minimum then it cant hurt him, and the late charges are my fault since i didnt give him the bill...
HELP!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North carolina

Me and my Ex-boyfriend had a credit card together, we broke up in april and I just recently got a bill that he charged onto the joint account...I texted him and emailed him asking him why he was using it and told him he had to pay it off and get it out of my name..I cancelled the account...I think I went wrong when I didn't send him the bill..I was just keeping it for my records just in case he tried to say he didn't charge anything or tried to say I did it. But I guess it back fired..I wrote him an email about all of this and told him to go on line and make his account for the bill and get all of his info in it so they can do an address change and he can pay it online...
the bill didn't get paid and I emailed him and told him that he had to pay it or I was going to get legal matter involved.
He wrote back that its not his fault cause he didn't know the date it was due, and i said no when he asked for the bill...(there is where I think i went wrong...even though I gave him all the info to where he could pay it, i guess i failed to give him the actual bill)
so words were said and i told him, that he ignored me and didnt give me his address so i couldn't send it to him...so i dont know who has the upper hand here, and I am very frustrated and i don't even know if i have any grounds to bring him to court...he also said he called his attorney and she said that even if he pays the minimum then it cant hurt him, and the late charges are my fault since i didnt give him the bill...
HELP!
Did you have a question?

Alison954

oh yeah...
Do I have a case? Can and should I bring him to court..#1 since he used the credit card after we broke up and #2 since he was late on the bill and hasn't paid it and I'm not sure if he is going to pay it...Is there any way I can make him pay off the whole thing so its out of my name..or was his attorney right about the fact of him paying even the minimum, as long as he is something, I can't take him to court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can take him to court...I have no idea how you will do in court as I don't know the details of your agreement for repayment - nor do I care to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">