• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fmm6

California

So I've had this car for over two years an ex of mine bought the car for me and it's been on her name I've offered to pay her back and I was I didn't keep receipts but I kept the receipts for the repairs I paid for. Anyways she decided without giving me so much as 25 hr notice she wanted to sell the car. She took it back and refuses to reimburse me for money I paid her for it or for the repairs. It was towed a while back and I paid get some money so my question is will my receipts hold up in court? Can I be reimbursed for the money I paid her? From my understanding the car was mine I offered to pay get back and her anger turned me down. It was never put in my name cause I never had the money. What can I do? I'm left in the dust here I can't lose everything. Had I known the car wasn't mine I would've never put any money into it.

Eekamouse

If the paperwork is all in her name, it's her car. If you didn't keep receipts for the payments you made to her, that's on you. Niow you have nothing to back up your claims that you were buying the car from her in court. It doesn't sound like you were consistent on making regular payments to her anyway, were you? Did you have any sort of contract written up for the sale and payment schedule to her? I suspect not. Sounds like you are SOL.

Fmm6

If the paperwork is all in her name, it's her car. If you didn't keep receipts for the payments you made to her, that's on you. Niow you have nothing to back up your claims that you were buying the car from her in court. It doesn't sound like you were consistent on making regular payments to her anyway, were you? Did you have any sort of contract written up for the sale and payment schedule to her? I suspect not. Sounds like you are SOL.
I understand it's in her name but I do have the bills from the repairs so will I be able to get that back?

sandyclaus

California

So I've had this car for over two years an ex of mine bought the car for me and it's been on her name I've offered to pay her back and I was I didn't keep receipts but I kept the receipts for the repairs I paid for. Anyways she decided without giving me so much as 25 hr notice she wanted to sell the car. She took it back and refuses to reimburse me for money I paid her for it or for the repairs. It was towed a while back and I paid get some money so my question is will my receipts hold up in court? Can I be reimbursed for the money I paid her? From my understanding the car was mine I offered to pay get back and her anger turned me down. It was never put in my name cause I never had the money. What can I do? I'm left in the dust here I can't lose everything. Had I known the car wasn't mine I would've never put any money into it.
As long as the car was in HER name, it was and would always be HER car. She just allowed you to use it.

I understand it's in her name but I do have the bills from the repairs so will I be able to get that back?
NO. Since you were using the car, it would follow that you would be responsible for repairs and maintenance while the car was under your sole care and control.

She is under no obligation to pay you back ANYTHING.

Fmm6

She never wrote anything up that said she was lending me a car and I was responsible for it. She never wrote up an agreement and had me sign anything. I have text messages of her saying she would put the car in my name and didn't want the money owed to her.

sandyclaus

She never wrote anything up that said she was lending me a car and I was responsible for it. She never wrote up an agreement and had me sign anything. I have text messages of her saying she would put the car in my name and didn't want the money owed to her.
She didn't have to write anything up. The fact that the car was never put in your name means it was never yours for as long as you had it.

...I offered to pay get back and her anger turned me down. It was never put in my name cause I never had the money...
...and this is why the car was never put in your name. She DID expect you to pay for the car if she was going to transfer ownership to you. It didn't happen because you couldn't afford to pay.

That means it was a long-term loan to allow you exclusive use of the car, but as long as the ownership was never transferred to you, she had the right to take the car back and do with it as she chose - INCLUDING selling the vehicle (which she did).

And again, because you were the only one using the vehicle, you would be fully liable to pay for all the repairs and maintenance you paid for. Why should she have to pay to repair things that you caused by using it? Assuming she gave you a vehicle that was fully functional when you got it, you would have been obligated to return it to her in the same condition. If there were issues with the vehicle requiring repair when you got it, then by paying for those repairs, you basically compensated her for the exclusive use of the vehicle (since she was paying for it and not getting the benefit of using it at all while in your possession).

Bottom line, the repairs and maintenance you did on the vehicle are not subject to reimbursement by her. If that's all you've got, you are going to lose any case you try to pursue.

Last edited:

Fmm6

Why not trying helping me with what'd I'd need then instead of just shutting me down like I'm just an idiot. Imagine feeling this helpless and lost and tell me u wouldn't try to find the light at the end of the tunnel. People look for advice not your direct tone. Who likes to see good people get screwed over?! not me I generally go to great lengths to help others

sandyclaus

Why not trying helping me with what'd I'd need then instead of just shutting me down like I'm just an idiot. Imagine feeling this helpless and lost and tell me u wouldn't try to find the light at the end of the tunnel. People look for advice not your direct tone. Who likes to see good people get screwed over?! not me I generally go to great lengths to help others
What you need is something you don't have and have no chance of getting given the circumstances you've provided.

You would need a WRITTEN CONTRACT that says your ex pays for all repairs and maintenance on the car, without regard to who has possession and use of the car (which doesn't exist).

You would need a WRITTEN CONTRACT or agreement to purchase, and proof that you paid or were paying for the car (which you don't have, because you first said that the ex didn't want money, then you said you didn't have the money to buy the car).

Can't help you produce what doesn't exist. I'm sure you'd rather us tell you something you want to hear, but it just isn't going to happen here.

Save up your money and buy yourself a car of your own.

latigo

Even if your erstwhile girl friend had promised you that she would make a future gift of the car and put it in writing, it would not be enforceable!

So face up to it. The gravy train has left the station and your free pass has expired.

If you want to cure this self-imposed malaise of feeling helpless and lost and self-pity, take a stroll through a Veterans hospital or an Elks Rehabilitation Center.

Just try to avoid tripping over prosthetics, crutches, wheel chairs and white canes. What a sob story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">