• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP ASAP!! Ex-Roommate Owes Me Money For Utility Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JDT001

What is the name of your state? VA

I am one of 4 roommates on a lease for a house. A 5th roommate moved in September 02. I had thought she would be put on the lease, but she was not. She moved out at the end of February and got someone to sublet her room. I have been the one who has been chasing after my roommates to pay their shares of the utility bills since we've lived here, which are not in my name, by the way, but in the name of one of a roommate who is on the lease but who sublet his room to someone else as well. He left the bills in his name, and out of courtesy for him I have taken the extra steps to ensure that we are not shut off - take time from my workday to go to utility offices to drop off checks, paid for overnighting the bills, etc. No one else cares, which completely perplexes me, but since I have nowhere to go if the utils get shut off, I have to take these extra steps.

The roommate who moved out the end of February owes for February bills. I have contacted the utility offices and explained the situation to get extensions, but I had to personally pay for her portion of the electric bill and to have it overnighted this past week. In addition, the extension for the water bill is about to run out Friday. I had to suck it up tonight and ask my relatives to loan me $150 to pay her share of the water and gas bills because my other roommates cannot or will not split the costs with me.

I have asked her via e-mail (always get it in writing) and I have called her, and she always says she will come by and doesn't. Now I have to use money that isn't even mine and I have to pay it back. In all, including the electric bill, she owes me about $180. Even though her name is not on the utils, she has provided checks in the past, so that proves a history of payment, doesn't it? I also have made a copy of her rent check made out to the landlord to prove she lived here (she takes cash from the new roommate and provides a check to us - which will cease from now on and I intend to be the person handling that to cut her out of the process), and I'm making copies of the check being sent to me by my relatives to pay for the bill (though it will be made out to me, so I'm not sure that proves anything per se). Today she took the cash left by her sublettor and left the rent check (which I fear may bounce because she is that spiteful) but no utils money so she has been here. What do I do?? Do I have any chance of proving she owes me this money in small claims court?? Is there anything else I can do to help my case?? Please help - I had to borrow the money from relatives who really can't afford to give it to me, and I feel horrible about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">