• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, attempted to sell car....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spinkid

What is the name of your state? CT

Hello all, Here's the situation: I have a car a tried to sell to buyer X. Buyer X left me a depost and we both signed paper stating the $500 was for the purchase of the car. He asked me to wait a week for him to sell his car and get a loan. I agreed and after 9 days he said his car was sold and was going to get a loan. He called me almost a after that and asked for the vin number so he could insure the car and get temp plates to drive the car home. I was told by him he would be here Wednesday to get the car and he called that he did not get the bank check yet. Thursday he called and said he had the money, but no ridem and Friday (today) he called and backed down from the deal stating he has a job offfer in Florida and can't buy the car. Now in the meantime, another potential buyer (Buyer Y), came over and said he will buy the car and wanted to be second in line. I told him to wait till last Friday if I don't hear from buyer X, the car is his and he agreed . Well Friday came and buyer X said he sold his car and will be here buy Wednesday to pick up the car and obvioulsy that did not happen. Well after today, I called up buyer Y and he just purchased and car and was upset because he preferred my car, but figured he was out. Do I have any options against buyer X for misleading me in purchasing my car since I clearly lost a potential sale? I really needed to sell this to buy my wife a minivan to transport our kids. Do I have to give buyer X his deposit back? It was never discussed to be non-refundable although today I told him he needs too pick up his deposit on my time because of this ordeal. Is there any way he is obligated to buy the car because I have a paper saying he left a $500 deposit for my car? The paper does not have a pick up date, just that it is for the purchase of my car. He wrote this on notebook paper and we both signed this. I realize I am probably out of luck, as nice guys always finish last and I bent over backwards to help this kid and go shafted in return. Please help, I have a very upset pregnant wife at home. Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">