• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! being sued; need to prepare for court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanomug

What is the name of your state? California
How do I prepare for court?
My neighbor is suing me in small claims court for a new garage door costing $750. During the January snowstorm my neighbor asked me to use HER bobcat to plow HER extremly steep driveway that was covered with about a foot of snow and ice underneath. While backing up the driveway, the bobcat hit the garage door and the panels fell down. I put it back together and it went up/down just fine. The garage door had several dents already and they complained about it previously. Several weeks later she asked how I wanted to pay for the new garage door. I told her I didn't think I was liable. She later said "if you don't pay half, I will sue you for the full amount".
I have never seen any documentation the indicent damaged the door so much that a new garage door was needed. Nor have I seen any evidence of what a repair would be versus a new door.
I think that since I was helping her, using her equipment at her house, that she is responsible. Am I wrong?
I have prepared a timeline and gathered weather reports for the time. What else do I need? How should I present my case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">