• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with crazy roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robin7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi, not sure where to put this really but here goes, please move it if you can think of a better place.

Alright, here is my question. A lady came down to live with me a long time ago, signed a roommate agreement, but never worked in her life and doesn't pay any of the rent. I thought she needed help but she may have severe emotional and or mental problems. She used to live with her parent but everytime I try to tell her that I cannot take care of her and she needs to go back to them, she throws an extremely loud and scary fit and refuses, makes me afraid the neighbors will call the police or something just because of the noise. Essentially she has been forcing me to take care of her for over a year. She is like a petulant child, very self centered, and either bipolar or someone with extremely bad personality disorder. She can't drive and she can hardly talk to most people. So, here is my question-if I were to get a new job where I could afford insurance for her, and took her to get her evaluated at a clinic to get some kind of medication to help make her a normal person who is not scary and a terror to live with, but the medication did't take or had a bad side effect or some horrible thing and didn't bring her to her senses, could her family try to sue or charge me in some way since I paid for it, even though she took it? As I said I have tried to send her back already but basically she has threatened that her Mom would sue me or charge me with something untrue just for revenge. I really have no idea what else to do which is why I am so desperately considering this medical option. Honestly I would just like to make her go away with as little legal trouble as possible but I have no idea how to do so safely and with myself being clearly shown blameless in any of her problems that she already had before she came down.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

Hi, not sure where to put this really but here goes, please move it if you can think of a better place.

Alright, here is my question. A lady came down to live with me a long time ago, signed a roommate agreement, but never worked in her life and doesn't pay any of the rent. I thought she needed help but she may have severe emotional and or mental problems. She used to live with her parent but everytime I try to tell her that I cannot take care of her and she needs to go back to them, she throws an extremely loud and scary fit and refuses, makes me afraid the neighbors will call the police or something just because of the noise. Essentially she has been forcing me to take care of her for over a year. She is like a petulant child, very self centered, and either bipolar or someone with extremely bad personality disorder. She can't drive and she can hardly talk to most people. So, here is my question-if I were to get a new job where I could afford insurance for her, and took her to get her evaluated at a clinic to get some kind of medication to help make her a normal person who is not scary and a terror to live with, but the medication did't take or had a bad side effect or some horrible thing and didn't bring her to her senses, could her family try to sue or charge me in some way since I paid for it, even though she took it? As I said I have tried to send her back already but basically she has threatened that her Mom would sue me or charge me with something untrue just for revenge. I really have no idea what else to do which is why I am so desperately considering this medical option. Honestly I would just like to make her go away with as little legal trouble as possible but I have no idea how to do so safely and with myself being clearly shown blameless in any of her problems that she already had before she came down.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If she agreed to see a doctor, and she ended up getting a prescription for medication that the doctor recommended, that would NOT fall upon you. She has a choice whether or not to take medication. Or to even see a doctor, for that matter.

Why are you even taking responsibility for this person? Serve her with an eviction notice and get her out of your house. You aren't married, you have no obligation to this person. And honestly, is she really worth all the trouble you are going through?

extremely loud and scary
I would suggest you talk to her parents ... they may know how to handle her better. Just serving her with an eviction notice seems to indicate some degree of risk not normally associated with an eviction.

robin7

Well, I was under the impression first of all that until I moved there was nothing I could do-she signed she wouldn't have to pay anything and I signed off on it. No she is not worth it but as I said I am worried what would happen. The problem with her parents is they couldn't handle her either, and she is one of these people who's emotional problems manifest physically-in other words, I am always worried I will have to take her uninsured self to the doctor to pay for her frequent headaches-woman is addicted to soda pop and can't even drink water she needs caffeine so much. She also gets physically sick when she sees any bug at all for example and sometimes it makes her throw up-also when she gets upset she claims she "can't breath" even though I think she just means she is struggling for air or something-she is quite overweight. So you see I am worried that if I try something radical, or drastic, whatever, involving police or something, that something physically bad will happen to her because of it and, once again, that her mother will blame me and sue me or something.

sandyclaus

So, just to check, no one has any further advice?
You CHOSE to allow this person to move in with you. Now you are complaining that you don't want to deal with them anymore?

If you know you have done nothing wrong, why would you be so worried that Mom would hold you responsible? Sounds to me like it wouldn't stick anyway. It's your mess you created, now you have to decide whether or not to keep living in the nightmare or get rid of the excess baggage and drama.

Evict them and be done with it. Or keep them around, and continue taking personal responsibility for them. Those are pretty much your options. No one is going to decide for you - this choice is all yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">