• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Don't know what to do!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jjjjjj

I live in California and I've been working freelance with a guy in Washington state and I can't get him to pay me. We don't have any signed contracts only verbal agreements and written email agreements. He did try to send me a check but it bounced, so I have that proof that we are working together. What should I do to get him to pay?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jjjjjj said:
I live in California and I've been working freelance with a guy in Washington state and I can't get him to pay me. We don't have any signed contracts only verbal agreements and written email agreements. He did try to send me a check but it bounced, so I have that proof that we are working together. What should I do to get him to pay?

Thanks in advance for any help!

My response:

Have Guido and his Louisville Slugger pay him a visit, or sue him in Small Claims court in Washington State.

IAAL

J

jjjjjj

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE, thanks for responding so quickly. So, would I need to go to Washington to file this? Does everything need to take place there or can I make him come down here?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jjjjjj said:
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE, thanks for responding so quickly. So, would I need to go to Washington to file this? Does everything need to take place there or can I make him come down here?

My response:

You don't necessarily need to go to Washington State to file the complaint. Just call the clerk of the court nearest to where your "partner" lives or works, and ask that the papers be sent to you to fill out and mail back with your filing fee. Then, when the clerk informs you of your hearing date, THAT'S when you'll need to go there.

You can't "make" him come here or do anything else in California. California doesn't have jurisdiction over him - - unless there was a written contract signed in California, and that contract has a "choice of forum" clause giving you the right to file in California.

Also, the presumption is that he has no assets in California, but only has assets in Washington State. Therefore, if you obtain a judgment against him, only the Washington State court has jurisdiction over his assets; e.g., bank accounts, real estate, etc.

You see, for the average person, doing business across state lines can be a hassle and a money drain. For example, will your efforts and money expended to go to Washington State be worth the judgment? For all I know, you may wind up spending very near, as much as, or more money than it's worth.

IAAL

J

jjjjjj

Thanks for the advice. this is sounding difficult. He does have a partner working in Santa Monica. He is the partner of the company I was doing work for. Would that make a difference?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jjjjjj said:
Thanks for the advice. this is sounding difficult. He does have a partner working in Santa Monica. He is the partner of the company I was doing work for. Would that make a difference?

My response:

It's time for you to obtain advice from a local attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">