• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, I'm lost. . .What now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sawyermg

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachusetts
Help, :eek:
I just got out of small claims court after having a capias served(?) against the debtor who had defaulted twice and therefore lostand had not paid. The judge, after wrangling with the debtor, said rather sternly to him that he (the debtor) was now in for a contempt hearing. He said that he should bring all of his financial information to this hearing and that it would be wise to get a lawyer. I am concerned because he did not even really address me. Do I need to get a lawyer too? If I don't will I get railroaded by his. I don't even know what a contempt hearing is. What onus, if any, is on me? The case was originally for only $1,500. and I really can't afford a lawyer. Also am I entitled to interest. THe debt was originally incurred over three years ago adn the first hearing was one year ago. If I am, do I have to ask for it or does the court automatically assess this? If I ask, who do I ask? Thanks a ton for any consideration!

S

seniorjudge

sawyermg said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachusetts
Help, :eek:
I just got out of small claims court after having a capias served(?) against the debtor who had defaulted twice and therefore lostand had not paid. The judge, after wrangling with the debtor, said rather sternly to him that he (the debtor) was now in for a contempt hearing. He said that he should bring all of his financial information to this hearing and that it would be wise to get a lawyer. I am concerned because he did not even really address me. Do I need to get a lawyer too? If I don't will I get railroaded by his. I don't even know what a contempt hearing is. What onus, if any, is on me? The case was originally for only $1,500. and I really can't afford a lawyer. Also am I entitled to interest. THe debt was originally incurred over three years ago adn the first hearing was one year ago. If I am, do I have to ask for it or does the court automatically assess this? If I ask, who do I ask? Thanks a ton for any consideration!

The debtor has apparently disobeyed an order and the judge is miffed. (Good for you; bad for debtor). The judge does not need to address you because you haven't done anything wrong. You do not need a lawyer...the judge will do all the work.

A contempt hearing is where the judge tells bad guy he is going to jail if he doesn't cough up the dough. If bad guy cannot come up with the dough but had the dough to cough up, then he goes to jail.

Ask the judge if he will include interest or whether it is automatically added on. It never hurts to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">