• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hilkar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Washington State

Hi,
I was served papers for collection of medical bills from Aug. 04 to July 07, for amount of $2518.83, with interest, court costs, attorney fees and other, for a total of $3507.25.

I went through a divorce in 2005 (of which I am not receiving any child support from) and remarried a year and a half later, I am supporting two kids one of which has juvenile diabetes.
I am currently on my second lay-off in 11 months.

I have been asked to respond to the complaint by stating my defense in writing, serve a copy to the person signing this summons, and file a copy with the court.

Any advice on how to write my defense, do I need any special forms or format?
Can I serve a copy myself, or do I need to have someone else do it?
How do I go about filing a copy with the court?

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.
Thank You, Hilkar

latigo

Very sorry to hear that you are in such a desperate financial straight.

But unfortunately your inability to pay a legitimate debt that is not barred by an operative statute of limitations is not a legal defense.

Consequently, if you received the medical services and the medical providers have not been paid, there is nothing you can do to prevent the creditor from ultimately recovering a judgment against you.

Filing an answer with the court that doesn’t state a legitimate defense to the creditor’s claim will only serve as a temporary delay in the process of the creditor obtaining the judgment.

But let’s explore this child support issue.

I assume from where you write that you have not been receiving child support that you were awarded such support. So, what have you done to seek enforcement of the support order? Or instituting criminal charges to have the father indicted for criminal nonsupport?

It seems to me that there is four years of back support out there plus interest. So do something about collecting it and relieve some of your financial pressures. There are very strong reciprocal child support enforcement laws between the states that you should be taking advantage of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">