• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! My ex girlfriend is suing me...verbal agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spoodox

What is the name of your state? California.

Hello, my ex girlfriend is suing me for $5,867. She's upset that we broke up so she wants
all this money back that she put on her credit cards over a 6 months period. She claims we had a "verbal agreement". We never did. I am 39, she is 22. I'm an established artist who's art has been published in 5 books, I've been interviewed in SPIN Magazine (I'm in the current issue and last issue), I've been to Europe 5 times for art shows etc...The only reason I say this is I need to establish that I wasn't some deadbeat who was living off this young girls credit cards. She lured me into moving to Oakland from LA with sweetness and fake love. I was to be the bread winner while she went to school at Berkeley full time. I have Paypal records showing I also paid tons of money. She has burned me several times like sold the car I paid $2,000 down on and I paid the rent and the deposit on the apartment. I paid for most everything and you don't see me trying to sue her for money I spent based on some fictitious "Verbal agreement". She has lots of receipts showing she bought and paid for stuff and she did but in a relationship when all is well people spend money for the cause. She has not had a job the whole time we've been together so now she's desperate for money because she's racked up a bill. I have my Paypal and Bank records also showing tons of dough going out. Can she win? Am I screwed?:(

Spoodox

Hmmmmmmm

She will be able to show receipts for some of the things like the cable bill, gas etc. I will be able to show the checks for the rent, the deposit on the car, the deposit on the apt as well as my Paypal and Bank statements showing I paid on all kinds of things also amounting to much more. So, maybe I need to counter sue so I have to pay some of the things she's claiming and she'll have to pay some of the things I paid. Nothing ever was in writing or even verbal. It was more like "I'll get this rent, you get the cable bill, gas, bills etc... We both contributed. She's all angry and desperate and trying to ask for even gifts like a monitor she bought me for my birthday. She's getting all hostile and won't even talk on the phone with me without hanging up like a kid. Even if she paid a bill I can show on a lot of them that I transfered money to her account to pay that bill. I may lose who knows. My lawyer family friend said the judge most likely will throw her a bone and throw me a bone.
If I do lose I'll pay her on the payment plan to make her squirm. If people knew the facts it would be easy to see. I hope she gets all pissy in court. She can't help herself most of the time. She's a hothead. That's just it, there is no facts other than we both spent money and I spent more. I may have to counter sue...
I'm going to meet with my lawyer friend and see what chances I have..:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">